The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
any 1176 kits out there? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 24th April 2011
  #61
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 

Around how many hours does a hairball 1176 take to build ?
Old 24th April 2011
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Around how many hours does a hairball 1176 take to build ?
It would depend a lot on your soldering skills and confidence. If you aren't fairly expert, then speed kills to a certain degree. Better to measure twice, then get paranoid, pull it back out, and measure again, then solder, if you want to have the maximum likelihood of firing it up at the end and having it be right. Another big reason is that troubleshooting doesn't come with a manual nearly as much as building does. So far better to be sure you built it right than try to figure out at the end why it doesn't work, if you aren't an EE type.
Old 28th August 2011
  #63
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Here's a recently completed Rev A clone.
I was just cutting guitars (with the EZ1290s below as well) with it so I thought I'd post a pic.
Mike's got the goods.
One more thanks to Dustin for helping me troubleshoot :

2 quick questions about your blue stripe. what kinda light did you use for the red power on and were abouts did u power it from on the bord. also that decal looks wicked under the vu meter is that just special sticker paper you can buy to print on?



thanks
Old 14th November 2011
  #64
Here for the gear
 

Bump. Would love to build one of my own soon.
Old 25th May 2013
  #65
Here for the gear
 

keep this post alive
Old 26th June 2013
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Grummy77's Avatar
 

So this thread started over three years ago, how many of you built kits since then?

I know for sure at some point I'll be getting a Hairball kit myself either way. Just curious if any of you have some feedback. Total cost of your builds? roughly how much time it took you? Any surprises along the way? Tips, pointers, warnings?

Cheers.
Old 26th June 2013
  #67
Village Idiot
 
Labs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread title
any 1176 kits out there?
I also offer this

Gustav
Old 26th June 2013
  #68
Lives for gear
 
studiostuff's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grummy77 View Post
how many of you built kits since then?

Total cost of your builds? roughly how much time it took you? Any surprises along the way? Tips, pointers, warnings?

Cheers.
I finally took the plunge and built a Rev. D, Hairball 1176 after checking out the DIY forum thread for several years.

Total cost was probably about $400 for the kit (w/shipping), the PCB was around $30 and came immediately after I ordered it (OZ to Dallas in 5 days...!), around $100 to Mouser (including shipping), add in some hookup wire, heat-shrink tubing and tie-wraps... I'd guess $550, max.

I was absolutely determined to not worry about how long it took to put together because my habit is to blast through a project like this... and on the forum thread about this build, there were a number of cautions from different folks to TAKE YOUR TIME. So, I only worked on the project when I felt like it and felt like I was focused... then, I'd quite each time I tried to put a 47K R where a 47R was supposed to go. (It's easy for me to drift when doing something like this.)

Tips? Carefully and thoroughly read all the MNATs stuff and the Rev. D build thread at groupdiy.com... and take your time!!!

Other than that, it's a fun project that sounds great when you get it done. I had no trouble at all. I may do another because I think I can make the wiring a little better looking... but, it works great and sounds great
Attached Thumbnails
any 1176 kits out there?-1176-wiring.jpg  
Old 26th June 2013
  #69
Village Idiot
 
Labs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
I can make the wiring a little better looking..
A tip for wiring up when you're a beginner - grab a handful of strips, tie up the cable runs as you go along, cut them and add new ones as you add more runs.

Wiring is really just repetitive work, and not as scary as it might look.

Gustav
Attached Thumbnails
any 1176 kits out there?-img_1980.jpg  
Old 26th June 2013
  #70
Here for the gear
 

Guys,

Can I get some hardware at an affordable price? Then. I create mostly in the box and I must say that having additional external hardware as I do at times is adds something that illuminates.

I mainly do stuff in the box for ease of use. from presets as a starting point from many sources/plugins to then get a sound closer to what I would like to design.

Anyways, I'm interested in buying if any are selling, at a reasonable price ofcourse?

I use UA and other stuff inlcuding Fl studio and Pro Tools. I found some good stuff from presetware.com

I also use free plugins which sound really great at comapred to other plugins out there.
Old 12th September 2013
  #71
Gear Nut
 
Hairball Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
I finally took the plunge and built a Rev. D, Hairball 1176 after checking out the DIY forum thread for several years.

Total cost was probably about $400 for the kit (w/shipping), the PCB was around $30 and came immediately after I ordered it (OZ to Dallas in 5 days...!), around $100 to Mouser (including shipping), add in some hookup wire, heat-shrink tubing and tie-wraps... I'd guess $550, max.

I was absolutely determined to not worry about how long it took to put together because my habit is to blast through a project like this... and on the forum thread about this build, there were a number of cautions from different folks to TAKE YOUR TIME. So, I only worked on the project when I felt like it and felt like I was focused... then, I'd quite each time I tried to put a 47K R where a 47R was supposed to go. (It's easy for me to drift when doing something like this.)

Tips? Carefully and thoroughly read all the MNATs stuff and the Rev. D build thread at groupdiy.com... and take your time!!!

Other than that, it's a fun project that sounds great when you get it done. I had no trouble at all. I may do another because I think I can make the wiring a little better looking... but, it works great and sounds great
Nice work!

I now offer a full rev D kit for $595. Has EVERYTHING you need.

Hairball Audio

I'm out of stock (just ran out) but you can send an email to "info at hairballaudio dot com" to be notified when we have more. About 2 weeks.

Mike
Old 12th September 2013
  #72
Lives for gear
 

great now ebay will be full of 1176 clones from people who arn't competent enough to even order a BOM that's just fantastic.
Old 12th September 2013
  #73
Gear Nut
 
Hairball Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
great now ebay will be full of 1176 clones from people who arn't competent enough to even order a BOM that's just fantastic.
It already is unfortunately.
Old 12th September 2013
  #74
Lives for gear
 

well I like your kits. I built 2 rev Ds and working on getting things together for my first rev A this weekend
Old 13th September 2013
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Grummy77's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball Audio View Post
Nice work!

I now offer a full rev D kit for $595. Has EVERYTHING you need.

Hairball Audio

I'm out of stock (just ran out) but you can send an email to "info at hairballaudio dot com" to be notified when we have more. About 2 weeks.

Mike
This reinforces a decision I already made a while back now.

Sweetness.
Old 14th September 2013
  #76
m.o
Lives for gear
 
m.o's Avatar
 

I recently built one from Gustavs' (https://pcbgrinder.com/) pcbs.

It took a while to find some of the components.
The ones that were a bit tricky was the meter (ordered from Canford), the audio transformer (Canford) and one of the transistor types (out of production- ordered from ebay, not very expensive though)... oh and 5M Ohm pots are apparently rare for some reason...

I used a blank generic case (so no printing on the front panel), drilled and sawed out holes for everything (lesson learned: aluminium - easy, steel hard).

The trickiest part for me was to verify the wiring and then calibrating the thing.


If anyone is considering a DIY compressor, I'd recommend starting with the GSSL (ssl bus compressor clone), that was quite easy to put together and I think all parts are available straight from Farnell or similar places.
Old 12th March 2015
  #77
Lives for gear
 
lordward's Avatar
Just reviving an old thread

I was wondering if there are any 1176 kits that could be bought in Europe? Hairball prices are good but shipping is quite high. Plus I have to pay customs on it as well.
Any help would be great!

DW
Old 13th March 2015
  #78
Lives for gear
 

The cheapest way is to order the parts from a supplier directly. Reichelt.de has most of that stuff at very good prices.
Old 15th March 2015
  #79
Lives for gear
 
lordward's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
The cheapest way is to order the parts from a supplier directly. Reichelt.de has most of that stuff at very good prices.
Thanks Jensenmann! I appreciate your help
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Lunatik SA / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
3
shamsundra / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
Imagearho / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump