The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
any 1176 kits out there? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball Audio View Post
Caps for sure and I think the Nimble Switch BOM uses pretty high quality stuff (Wima's and Panasonic FC series). If you go to the Purple Audio MC76 discontinued kit info page you can see the parts they used.

http://www.purpleaudio.com/pdflib/DIYMC76v44.pdf

As far a sonic differences between caps I don't have the ears to tell you. Certainly he parts in both lists are well respected.

There is a lot on the web about the sonic differences in caps and resistors, some of it crap some of it good.

For resistors I think the accuracy (1%) and longevity of modern metal film is hard to beat.

Mike
Thanks, Mike.

I have messed around with caps in guitar amps and found them to make a pretty big difference (particularly in the coupling stage), so I would be surprised if it were different in this case.
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared View Post
Do you have any pictures of what they will look like? I know what the original looks like, just curious about yours in particular since I assume it won't be a direct copy.
It will be like my current enclosure except it will be black lettering on a clear anodized frontpanel (silver) with a blue strip over the meter.

So it will be in the style of he original except without the red light indicator hole above the meter and obviously no manufacture/model markings.

Mike
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcha View Post
Thanks, Mike.

I have messed around with caps in guitar amps and found them to make a pretty big difference (particularly in the coupling stage), so I would be surprised if it were different in this case.
I'd be interested hear how it turns out if you decide to experiment with the caps.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I know particularly with tube gear, builders hear a big difference in caps. I'm thinking of the LA2A specifically.

I'd be interested to know if builders hear as obvious a difference with solid state gear like the 1176.

That's one of the great things about DIY, if you want to really dial in a sound you have the freedom with endless component/modding options.

Mike
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Nut

Hi All,

I keep getting asked questions about "what else do I need to complete the build?".

Other than the full kit w/ enclosure you need pots, XLR's and the PCB components. I have a started to create Bill of Materials for these parts. I've started with the Rev D since that seems to be most popular:

Hairball Audio BOMs

Here you will see a PDF showing the remaining components with notes. If you visit Mouser.com and enter the access ID it will automatically fill your basket with the needed parts. For the Rev D that is about $75.

This list does not include things like a soldering iron, solder, wire or a DMM.

I will be adding the other BOM's (Rev F/G and REV A) over the next 2 weeks.

I also hope to post some wiring guides, though there are a few already floating out there. The wiring guides are pretty much the same for all revisions.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Mike, that's great!

However, the web link to the BOM on your site says "Revision D", but the printed BOM is titled "Revision A".

Is it the same pcb components, the difference lying in the components included with the kit?

Also, are you planning a dual enclosure for the Rev D any time soon? I'll be ordering in Feb. , but I don't want to build a single, only to find out that a dual becomes available in a couple of months.

Thanks.
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
Mike, that's great!

However, the web link to the BOM on your site says "Revision D", but the printed BOM is titled "Revision A".

Is it the same pcb components, the difference lying in the components included with the kit?

Also, are you planning a dual enclosure for the Rev D any time soon? I'll be ordering in Feb. , but I don't want to build a single, only to find out that a dual becomes available in a couple of months.

Thanks.
Opps! That is fixed. It now says "D". Thank you for pointing that out.

Each revision has its own PCB. The on board components change somewhat from revision to revision. For the parts I sell the A and D are the same kit. The F is the same except with a different output transformer.

For the dual enclosure I'm looking at summer. I still have to develop and prototype it and all that takes a lot of time.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball Audio
My enclosures are now in sock!
Hairball Audio Enclosures
Mike,

I've got a pair of MC76/77 kits that I've been sitting on. These enclosures look great and might give me the needed boost to get off my butt and put these kits together! Keep up the good work. You'll be hearing from me once I get my VISA/MasterCard squared!
Old 21st January 2010
I'm no electronics whiz, but I've successfully built 3 Seventh Circle Audio pres (2 API clones, one Neve clone).

How much more difficult are these Hairball kits?

A gazzillion times?
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todzilla View Post
I'm no electronics whiz, but I've successfully built 3 Seventh Circle Audio pres (2 API clones, one Neve clone).

A gazzillion times?
Not too hard if you take your time stuffing the board and wiring the unit.

When I built my first one I hade the following experience: Racked a pair of PM-1000's and built a Big Muff Pedal from a kit. That is it!

It didn't fire up the first time but after about 2 hours of tinkering I got it working.

A lot of people do it as their first build. You really need to take your time to be successful. Build the power supply and test it first, check each component as you stuff and take your time wiring.

Mike
Old 25th January 2010
Lives for gear

Does anyone know where i can get a hairball audio 1176 D build put together around Australia? i want one and dont trust myself to build one. Otherwise i could maybe accept getting it built in USA and bring it back with me.
Old 27th January 2010
Lives for gear

dobz was actually running a group buy for kits and said he might consider assembly. Check it out in the aussie forum. Its at a bit of a stand still because he crashed his bike and has some injuries but he's still running it.
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Rad thanks man! Actually he just got in touch with me, might go catch up with him soon! I've eard all great things for the 1176 hairball clone on the net here
Old 4th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todzilla View Post

A gazzillion times?
Have a link for the API preamp?
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Have a link for the API preamp?
Let me google that for you
Old 4th February 2010
Here for the gear

Also built this "Red Stripe" with Hairball's Rev A kit and mnats blue stripe pcb.

This one was put up against a real vintage blue stripe. The only discernable difference was a higher noise floor on the vintage unit!
Hairball and mnats are the real frikin deal![/QUOTE]

This thread is exciting! I would really love to hear some clips of a shootout like that. It looks like Hairball and mnats really have their **** together, but hearing is believing.

Perhaps a vintage, a purple, and a hairball all at a couple of different matched settings compressing the same vocal or bass or mono drum room, with the unprocessed raw take as a reference? i am willing to spend the bread on a purple of a mofet or something like that, so a comparison would validate this as a worthy project.

An 1176 is my next purchase for sure, and i've made a couple guitar pedals and wired up some guitars. I was thinking of having my amp guy do the build but i'm thinking that i could probably handle it.

Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

I like the idea of building an 1176 clone, but I would be much more likely to do that if there was complete set of step by step instructions with pictures like in the jlmaudio build threads, with all parts listed including enclosure, all caps, circuits, knobs etc, and instructions where to mount everything and so on. Sort of an "idiot proof guide" (lol) for someone with limited experience at building electronic devices. I haven't studied all the 1176 build threads out there, so maybe I am a bit lazy, but having everything in one easy to follow step by step guide would make it more likely I would attempt to build one. I bet there are other people who would do the same.
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
I like the idea of building an 1176 clone, but I would be much more likely to do that if there was complete set of step by step instructions with pictures like in the jlmaudio build threads, with all parts listed including enclosure, all caps, circuits, knobs etc, and instructions where to mount everything and so on. Sort of an "idiot proof guide" (lol) for someone with limited experience at building electronic devices. I haven't studied all the 1176 build threads out there, so maybe I am a bit lazy, but having everything in one easy to follow step by step guide would make it more likely I would attempt to build one. I bet there are other people who would do the same.
The 1176 just isn't a good candidate for a complete kit. There are over 100 on board components and a ton of wiring. The amount of time it would take to sort an entire kit would drive the cost up astronomically.

Besides All you have to do is go to mouser and use my access code to get all the parts you need.

Hairball Audio

The 1176 is really not a first time build unless you are committed to doing a little work. However there will be graphic wiring guides shortly. Stay tuned.

That said, if you know how to solder, are patient and can kind of understand a schematic, you can easily do this.

I'm working on a few 500 series mic pres now that will be idiot proof.

Mike

PS - Enclosures (original and Blue Stripe) will be in stock late next week.
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
Yeah same for me - it was the deciding factor on all the N72's I built. Plus I have a DIY dual 1176 w/mnats boards that took FOREVER to build because of the parts sourcing - then again the dude that built them prolly took his time, it took almost a year so I dunno...only one side works now tho..lol But really, if they were a complete kit It'd go a long ways towards making me decide to build some cause the one side of mine that DOES work kicks ass.
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Right now you only have to place 2 orders which is a lot better then the old way (7-10 orders).

1. Hairball Kit (D for example):
Hairball Audio

2. Mouser pre-filled cart:
visit: Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor enter Mouser Access Id: cedcf00cfd

Now you have everything you need. Should take about 5 min.

Wiring guide (A and D):
1176 Rev A - Back to the beginning...

That is about as easy as it can be without having someone build it for you. Purple makes a great unit with loads of features!

Again, this is not a simple build. We've done pretty much everything we can do to simplify it without making it as expensive as a commercial unit.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again, this is not a simple build.
With that in mind, do you have any recommendations for resources on how to test the build of this each step of the way?
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 1176 just isn't a good candidate for a complete kit. There are over 100 on board components and a ton of wiring. The amount of time it would take to sort an entire kit would drive the cost up astronomically.

Besides All you have to do is go to mouser and use my access code to get all the parts you need.

Hairball Audio

The 1176 is really not a first time build unless you are committed to doing a little work. However there will be graphic wiring guides shortly. Stay tuned.

That said, if you know how to solder, are patient and can kind of understand a schematic, you can easily do this.

I'm working on a few 500 series mic pres now that will be idiot proof.

Mike

PS - Enclosures (original and Blue Stripe) will be in stock late next week.
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps sometime you if could do a step by step with photos of one you build including a layout in the chassis similar to how they were originally laid out, and with steps on testing etc it would all help people who are unsure of those things. I have racked up a copuple of things, but my reading of schematics is not so hot.
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

This looks great. I think I'll order one when the enclosures come in.

BTW, you can link directly to your cart like this.
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
This looks great. I think I'll order one when the enclosures come in.

BTW, you can link directly to your cart like this.
Nice! Thanks!

The Chassis layout is pretty much set with the new enclosures. Have a look here:

Hairball Audio

Thanks,

Mike
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

But the chassis aren't in stock right? So I would have to order the parts kit and then order the chassis separately when they come in? Or can you order the full kit now and you'll do two different shipments?
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
But the chassis aren't in stock right? So I would have to order the parts kit and then order the chassis separately when they come in? Or can you order the full kit now and you'll do two different shipments?
Hi,

The new chassis shipment is on the way. I will have them in stock by the end of next week.

Since it's so close I would wait and place your full order when they arrive next Thursday or Friday (March 12th).

Thanks,

Mike
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Cool, thx
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
With that in mind, do you have any recommendations for resources on how to test the build of this each step of the way?
MNATS has some nice calibration video's at the bottom of this page:
Building The DIY 1176LN Revision D

Lab member Geoff has some nice resources here:
1176LN Clone Compressor

This is an older page but still has some good stuff on troubleshooting.

It is important to build your power supply section first and test it. That is explained here:
Wiring the 1176LN Clone

But again this is not a super simple build. Compressors are far more complex than a mic pre. There are a lot of 500 series mic pre kits that are very beginner friendly.

Check out:
classicapi.com

This might not be the right build for you right now, and this ok!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Here's a recently completed Rev A clone.
I was just cutting guitars (with the EZ1290s below as well) with it so I thought I'd post a pic.
Mike's got the goods.
One more thanks to Dustin for helping me troubleshoot :
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the links!

Quote:
This might not be the right build for you right now, and this ok!
That's possible. It's tough for me to gauge that because I really have no idea what makes a kit 'difficult'. I'd hate to stay away from the project if it's something I could pull off.

I just built a JLM 1290 kit and had no problems getting it together. This definitely looks more complex but not impossible.
Old 10th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's possible. It's tough for me to gauge that because I really have no idea what makes a kit 'difficult'. I'd hate to stay away from the project if it's something I could pull off.

I just built a JLM 1290 kit and had no problems getting it together. This definitely looks more complex but not impossible.
It's really a question of commitment.

If you're willing to do a little reading and troubleshooting you can pull it off. If you're just looking for a cheap compressor I would not recommend the project.

In the end if you go in willing to learn a little you and your studio will be better off in the long run.

Classic and Blue Stripe enclosures are in stock.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search