The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to build Earthworks Kick Pad
Old 13th November 2009
How to build Earthworks Kick Pad

Hey guys.

Anyone happen to have earthworks kick pad schematic or at least a picture of the guts with values written down?

I've gotten the most growly warm bass tone ever using one of these for bass. The chain goes:

Bass guitar, comp, DI split to amp and cab and to an inline impedence changer, EW Kick Pad, Soldano SP77 with lower gain tubes put in. Call me crazy or whatever, but this totally works for me. Only thing is I want to build a kickpad in a box that can just sit on the floor, rather that having it sticking out a foot or so from the soldano and possibly getting broken off.

Thanks.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

it depends how many db you wanna pad.

this will determine r values

check impedence of the mic first standard is 150-200 ohms

use a pad calculator to determine r values.

T-Pad / H-Pad Calculator - Resistor Values for Attenuation

for balanced connection use an "H" pad

hope this helps
Old 14th November 2009
That's awesome! I had no idea such a calculator existed. Thanks!

I still want to be able to mimic the eq curve of the kick pad. Maybe I should just get another eq specifically for this purpose... but it would be cool to build something I can mess with and adjust values on so I can have something to experiment with.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

not for nothing but i am coming out with a pretty kick ass tube pre if you'r interested.

this thing is top notch for kick would be amazing discrete pads built in
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

So why can't you just put a cable in between the Kick Pad and the Soldano? Maybe a cable with a right angle connector plugged into the Soldano?
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmorrow View Post
not for nothing but i am coming out with a pretty kick ass tube pre if you'r interested.

this thing is top notch for kick would be amazing discrete pads built in
Wow!
Any details? Pics? Pricing?
Old 16th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revren Jesse View Post
So why can't you just put a cable in between the Kick Pad and the Soldano? Maybe a cable with a right angle connector plugged into the Soldano?
The kick pad i'd been using doesn't belong to me and I'm a purist as far as believing in using as few cable/conductor/connector changes as possible. Haha. Honestly it probably wouldn't make a damn bit of difference, but it sure would bug the sht out of me.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear