The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1176LN Rev F/G
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

1176LN Rev F/G

I placed the some post in the "so much gear..." section. Might have been the wrong place, so I try again here:

I have two blackface Urei 1176LN, one has SN 6567, the other 7448. So I think I have a Rev F and Rev G, I may be wrong. It wouldn't be a good idea to use 'em as a stereo pair, would it? If I'd "downgrade" my G to F by putting the input trafo back in, would it be better then, or is it still a stupid idea?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
It would not be good to have one with transformer and one without so you could decide which way you wanted them both to go.
Without the finer details of the versions to hand I would suggest that use in stereo would be successful but may need a spot of calibration to ensure they track each other correctly.
Matt S
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

have you opened them up?

If they are indeed a rev f and rev g, I think they both used the b11148 output transformer. the rev g will have a 10k input pot and an ic based (5532) input section. the rev f should have a 600 ohm attenuator and an input transformer. I believe, they are otherwise the same and are both class a/b. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

They're close, but i would not use them as a stereo pair.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Thaks to both of you. I'll check it out. I don't really need to use 'em as a stereo pair since I already have a few nice stereo comps (and I do a lot of mono work anyway ). So if it would be a bigger issue to match 'em then I'd rather leave 'em.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Don't change 'em.

If you need to "stereo squash" something like a drum crush sub-group, then go ahead and try to use them. What's the harm? I sometimes use dual mono compressors for this kind of thing anyway. If the two channels react a little differently, so what? Maybe that adds to the "dynamic complexity." If they don't track well together, and the artifacts bother you, then don't use them.

I wouldn't strap them across my 2MIX bus, but there are at least a few things that I would be happy to try them on.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear