The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
alternative BNC wiring?
Old 10th November 2009
alternative BNC wiring?

Hello geekslutz. Im trying to wire my sennheiser wireless systems so that the antennas of the receivers are facing the front of the rack.

Sennheiser recommends this bnc cable. for $44.00.

if I do this for 4 receivers, i will spend about 180$, which seems stupid.

It looks like a simple BNC cable with one end being threaded with a nut. Am I missing something here? Why would they charge that much for a simple BNC cable?

Is there a way I can make my own? I've seen bnc cables much cheaper, but can't seem to find ones that mount on a rack kit like this one

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd much rather make my own.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well Micah,
I can give you my opinion, as I have worked in RF for the past 9 years. Go ahead and make your own, if you know how. There is nothing "special" about those cables except that they have the threaded bulkhead type connectors on one side, which cost a bit more than the regular BNC connectors. Bear in mind that if you don't have the crimper, you will not get as good results with the "twist-on" connectors (I don't think they are too good over a few hundred MHz). So it might end up costing you more to do them yourself if you have to buy the crimper and connectors.

It's your choice, but I wouldn't buy those connectors. Check if Digi-Key or Mouser has them.

cheers,

2N
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I make my own BNC (not my favorite - I prefer N) cables but I have the right crimper and die set. You can get the die set and crimper for maybe $100 or $120, and roll your own cables. It should cost you about $8 or so per cable to make. RF is a bit wierd, you have to pay attention. Check for shorts when you make the cable - it's easy to do 'till you get the hang of it. Also, the centre insulation likes to melt easily when you solder it, so I like to work quick. If you can, get the automatic cable stripper - it saves a bunch of headache. You can do without, but it's so much easier when you use it.
You can check out hints on RF cabling on the web - ham radio sites often have that sort of information. Oh yea, make sure you know the impedance of your system. TV is usually 75 ohm, most everything else is usually 50 ohm. Get the right cable. I prefer stranded centre conductor - it's more flexible.
Old 27th January 2018
Sorry to resurrect an old thread,

I too was (still am) looking for the best cost effective alternative to expensive Sennheiser AM2 set for $44.95, BNC male to bulkhead female BNC, 50 ohm RG58 or RG8x. Seems like cable such as this should be available for less than $10 each.

2x Sennheiser BB6 would save $15 over the AM2.

2x amphenol brand 1 foot BNC male to male cables for $7 each, and then 2x bulkhead adapters from showmecables.com $5 each. Total = $24.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear