The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midas Venice 240 Mods Balanced Direct Out
Old 10th November 2009
Question Midas Venice 240 Mods Balanced Direct Out

I'm in the process of making my Midas Venice 240's Direct Outs pre fader. I'm going to be connecting the board to a balanced patch bay. So now I'm wondering about adding an impedance matched passive network to ground so I can make a balanced output for each channel, as the patchbay and converters are also balanced. I got information from a Jensen article on the connections between unbalanced and balanced. I have a few questions.

What are the advantages of adding an impedance matched passive network to ground as opposed to just adding an output transformer, besides cost?

Is adding an impedance matched passive network to ground as easy as it seems? Just match the output impedance and send it to ground and pin3 right?

And do you just ground it to a common ground buss on the chasis or does it go back in the circuit somewhere?

To determine the output impedance should I take a reading with a DMM or just go by what the schematic and specs say?

I also want to add balanced direct outputs to stereo channels 8 - 16 on the Venice. Can I just pull the hot lead and the ground from anywhere on whatever particular channel I'm on post EQ and create my own balanced direct out as discussed up above?

Also, how would I benefit by using an external power supply? Worth it?

My brain is bulging already...

I thank you in advance for your time and insight.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I thank you in advance for your time and insight.
+1

Really interested for my Venice 320
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quasi balanced shemes are just that, quasi! You can't beat a transformer for it's true balance and lack of ground connections. The next alternative is the active balanced driver. You can get these from PMI, or THAT. The other problem with a quasi scheme is that it will involve loss which will make patching around your patch bay more awkward. Everything on a patch panel is ideally at the same general impedance and level.
One reason that everyone loves Neves is that they have transformers everywhere, and you can patch anything to anything.
If cost is a major option, you should find someone who can make a little pcb
with an active balanced driver on it, and fit those. Otherwise use transformers, the best you can afford.
Old 12th November 2009
It sounds like transformers would be the way to go. I was reading about the balanced line drivers and at this point that stuff is over my head. I wouldn't know where to begin. Transformers I understand. Plus the cost to have someone make 24 circuit boards, plus components, plus assembly time leads me to believe transformers may be the more economical choice for me right now.

So, can anyone give me a few suggestions for transformers and maybe a price range for this application?

Is making all outbound connections balanced worth doing for my specific case?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

What do you need balanced outputs for? In a homestudioenvironment all the wires are short enough to stay unbalanced without any degradation of sound. Most peaple donยดt live 10 feet below a 1kW transmitter station which would justify the effort.
Transformers are not that easy to implement. To get a good result you will surely need a Zobel network. Good luck finding out your parts values if you donยดt have measurement tools.
Impedance balanced outs have one big advantage: $
Electronic balancing means to throw quite a load of silicon into your signal path. That means degradation. Decide if you surely need that.
Old 12th November 2009
I'm going to opening a small/medium studio in Seattle in the spring/summer. Seattle has all kinds of interference problems.

I think I'm going to do impedence balanced outs. I might change it later, but might be better off just buying a better console... I do have proper testing gear. I think I'm capable. It sounds fairly simple...
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

cinemag makes a wonderful xformer try calling tom or dave.

Audio Transformers By Cinemag Inc.
Old 3rd December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongstTheLiving View Post
I'm going to opening a small/medium studio in Seattle in the spring/summer. Seattle has all kinds of interference problems.

I think I'm going to do impedence balanced outs. I might change it later, but might be better off just buying a better console... I do have proper testing gear. I think I'm capable. It sounds fairly simple...
Did you ever try this? Been debating giving it a go myself just for ease of use with the patchbay. Interested to hear of your experience!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear