The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
getting the output of my DAW upstairs to my stereo?
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

getting the output of my DAW upstairs to my stereo?

Hi,

I'm trying to train myself to understand the characteristics of my monitoring situation, so I can have my mixes translate better. (I'm also working on treating my room and want better monitors eventually). I really don't like burning a CD everytime I want to check a mix on my stereo upstairs, so I've thought about running some cables from the basement upstairs. I monitor through my Mackie 1402. The run would probably be 30-40 feet, and i understand this is too long for regular line-level outs. Am I correct in assuming that using the balanced XLR outs on the Mackie would work for getting the signal that far? If so I assume I'd need something to convert the signals back to unbalanced for getting them into the inputs on my receiver. Is this as simple as a cable termination?

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, I searched but couldn't find the exact answer..
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyhertz View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to train myself to understand the characteristics of my monitoring situation, so I can have my mixes translate better.
I would suggest instead, listen to music that you are most familiar with *often* on your monitors. Also, A/Bing your mix with another similar mix (that you know is good) on the same system is very helpful. Trying to familiarize yourself with monitors on a *new* mix is very much a moving target, and running back & forth to your hi-fi seems like the hard way... I typically only do that toward the very end, loading it onto my portable device and listening on several systems, taking good notes.

Also, if you have nearfields, try moving them closer and use lower volumes. This can help lessen room noise. Cross-referencing some headphones you are familiar with can also help.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyflipping View Post
I would suggest instead, listen to music that you are most familiar with *often* on your monitors. Also, A/Bing your mix with another similar mix (that you know is good) on the same system is very helpful. Trying to familiarize yourself with monitors on a *new* mix is very much a moving target, and running back & forth to your hi-fi seems like the hard way... I typically only do that toward the very end, loading it onto my portable device and listening on several systems, taking good notes.

Also, if you have nearfields, try moving them closer and use lower volumes. This can help lessen room noise. Cross-referencing some headphones you are familiar with can also help.
Seems like reasonable advice. I'd still like to know how to best get output from my mixer to my hi-fi system though
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

Yeah, you could run the signal down a balanced cable and convert it back to unbalanced for your stereo. I've actually got an 8 channel balanced-unbalanced & -10/+4 converter box for sale. Its custom made and its going for £75 if your interested. But yeah, maybe listen to more commerical tracks at a fixed listening level (between 75 & 85 dba), so keep an rta around for that. When your mixing, also adjust your amp so your monitoring at this level, it will make your mixes translate loads better.
Old 10th November 2009
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedupsteve View Post
ah cool, Although I don't get the euro style 3 pin screw input..
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

Apple Airport Express!!!

Apple Airport Express ($99)works great for this! Of course you need a wireless network/router in your house. You can even use your iPhone (and the free "remote app") to control the computer your DAW is attached to. Can only remotely send songs/mixes/etc. from iTunes (Mac or PC) - as well as file and network features found in the product details.

AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes - Apple Store (U.S.)

I can listen to my mixes in any room that has speakers hooked up to my main living room stereo - including outside "rock" speakers.

Technology is AWESOME!!!
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

Just get a cheap MP3 player. Encode with LAME at 192. Then plug into your stereo and play.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Do a search for "cat5 audio balun" JR
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

Apple Airport Express ....

This is really easy to use after you set up the network settings.

You can do a quick bounce in .wav (or directly into iTunes if you are using Logic as a DAW). Import it into iTunes. Play it over a wireless network directly into your downstairs stereo. No cables, No cords, No drilling, No soldering, etc.

No, I don't work for Apple, but this has been amazing for checking my mixes on other speakers in my house.

Good luck
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

yeah I'd certainly considered a wireless option (I've looked at devices like the sonos and the squeezebox in the past for listening to my mp3/flac collection) but I guess I was hoping to hear the mix in it's uncompressed 24 bit glory straight to my (pretty nice) Hi-fi. Oh well I'll continue pondering. I wonder how far spdif can go-coax can go a long way right?......
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear