The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundtracs PC Midi. Noisy Tape Outs/Group.
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Head

Question Soundtracs PC Midi. Noisy Tape Outs/Group.

Hi All,

Are there any Soundtracs PC Midi users out there that could affirm whether the Tape Outs/Groups are noisy or not on this console?

I have just purchased one in very good cosmetic condition.
The master buss, channels and monitor are very quiet and good sounding even though it is all stock...yes I know they can be upgraded with LT opamps but I'm not there yet!

However... when I subgroup to the busses on either 1-8 or 9-16, and monitor the group or use the Tape Outs, there is a lot of hiss/hash in the mix and at the Tape Outs.

This problem is only on the first 16 channels, as 17-24 do not have access to a buss.

I cannot see how this would have been acceptable as a recording buss in its day, especially to tape, so am assuming something is awry.

The schematic shows part of a TL074 quad amp as being the summing part feeding another TL074 as the Tape out buffer.

thanks in advance.

Barks
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

Ok, it is obviously only mine that has this problem LOL!

Any way, so that there is some useful information for the archives, I resolved the issue which was a badly implemented modification.

As stock, the console is a hybrid 16 buss design, except that busses 1-8 only work with modules 1-8 to the left of the master and busses 9-16 only work with modules 9-16 to the right of the master. 17-24 can buss across to 9-16 as well.

1-8 and 9-16 are not connected.

There is a mod where you can convert the architecture so that all channels get picked up by modules 1-8 in a regular 8 buss way.
This is implemented by connecting tiny connecting leads between the 1-8 and 9-16 ribbons via a daughter board at the master module.

Once this is done, module 9-16 need to be put into "Local Mode" by moving the link leads on each module to position 1.

This way only monitors on 1-8 can hear any signal being bussed.

My particular console had a mod done to enable all the channels to route to modules 1-8 as above, BUT modules 9-16 were still configured to buss to themselves.

What happened was that whenever a monitor or buss was assigned to the mix, you were hearing two buss amps at the same time instead of one.

Hence the massive noise issue.

I have attached a picture for reference of the desk prior to my purchasing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Soundtracs PC Midi. Noisy Tape Outs/Group.-cimg0265.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear