The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 4k Neve VR power supply?
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

SSL 4k Neve VR power supply?

Simple question but I guess a complicated answer...

Can you replace the old linear with a Switch mode power supply on the older SSL consoles? Surely this would reduce the power consumption and efficiency of the desk?
The same question for the Neve VR...
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
Only if it is really 'clean' (no hint of switching or it's harmonics) appearing on the output.
The specification for noise on the SSL supply is around 10 millivolts wideband (DC to several hundred KHz) if I remember correctly. It is in the manual. This is quite a tough requirement for a switcher and unless you manage to find a unit with all the required rails (very unlikely off the shelf) you may well run into problems with 'beat frequencies' from 2 or 3 seperate switchers in close proximity.
I am not saying it can't be done but there could be a lot of work required to get it quiet.
SSL used to have switchers available, but I am not sure what the reputation of them was.
Matt S
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks Matt- I'm not expecting to pick something up off the shelf but am wondering about the potential of dropping the aircon requirements and power draw.
Surely there is a whole new lease of viability to be given to these consoles if this can be done?
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
I think that notion is getting a bit far as the amount of work and cost for such an excercise will pay for several years worth of 'gained' electricity. You could probably save some if your local mains is very stable anyway by getting the mains tapping right on the supply.
Matt S
Old 31st October 2009
Gear Maniac

I could think of thousands of reasons not to do it.

I only can think of a reason justifying to do it.

My suggestion would be that you go into an ICON plus a summing mixer if electricity bill worries you, more than going into the adventure of a switching for the SSL 4K.
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

Haha- It's not quite that black and white... the benefit of saving electrical demands for me are much greater than the cost. It is nigh on imposible to add much aircon to the space where I have to keep power supplies. It is mostly about temperature control with a little bit of electrical thrown in.

As for ICON, no thanks.
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adria_BCN View Post
I could think of thousands of reasons not to do it.

I only can think of a reason justifying to do it.

My suggestion would be that you go into an ICON plus a summing mixer if electricity bill worries you, more than going into the adventure of a switching for the SSL 4K.
What are the thousands of reasons not to do it? I can think of several problems to be overcome but no reasons not to do it if it can be done.
Old 31st October 2009
Gear Maniac

Well, going the short route it will be utterly expensive to get it made.

Technically it's possible.

Moreover, i got i client who did it to his raindirk symphony in the past.

Right now i'm in the process of rebulding the linear but that's another issue.

The switching is cold and he has no aircon now on the machine room but the console never sounded the same (he recalls, i've never heard it with the original PSU).

Maybe in the UK the situation is different, but i think it can cost you as much as half a small 4K is going for now.
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adria_BCN View Post
Well, going the short route it will be utterly expensive to get it made.

Technically it's possible.

Moreover, i got i client who did it to his raindirk symphony in the past.

Right now i'm in the process of rebulding the linear but that's another issue.

The switching is cold and he has no aircon now on the machine room but the console never sounded the same (he recalls, i've never heard it with the original PSU).

Maybe in the UK the situation is different, but i think it can cost you as much as half a small 4K is going for now.
Ok, yeah, filtering is obviously going to be important. I think realistically the extra cost of the supply is not the end of the world as it could be the difference between the console being an option or not (unless I move studio!) I have been looking at many options and the way I see it they are few and far between.
At the moment I have tried Duality and love it but the cost is far too high at the moment for me. AWS wasn't for me (although clearly a very nice piece of kit I am just too attached to certain things to downscale as far as 24).
Neve VR I have used a lot and like well enough although it is not in my opinion up there with Duality. SL4k is the console I really wanted until I heard Duality!
My other option is to have a few mods to my current console (if I can find someone who can do it!) and another round of outboard purchases but it's not a space eficient way of doing things to me although quite likely the most cost effective option.
Old 1st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Well, last 4K i did commision was for a client who loved the duality but thought he'd rather spend the difference in price in manteinance and a new car.

I'm sure in the UK you won't have any problems on finding a technician to work on your console.

There's quite a fobia on turning down the console... which in part i can undestand, though this i always suggest to turn it off when not using it, nights and weekends, maybe that can help you cut a bit the costs...

Hope you're able to keep the 4K and make it profitable!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search