The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
WIRING ???'s Wha to do with the ring??
Old 5th July 2009
WIRING ???'s Wha to do with the ring??

OK Normally no problem but I am a little stumped in this case and thought i'd ask before trial and error pursues. I need to make two adapter cables.

The first is intended to sum channels of my patchbay which is a Neutrik 1/4" TRS bay. I'd like to combine two mono channels (outputs of my Digi 192) to a single channel which connects to one channel of my mic snake. Essentially making a stereo unbalanced signal to travel over a single 3-pair line. My initial thhought is that I should connect the two mono balanced trs plugs as normal, tip+, Ring-, sleeve ground, then on the stereo end connect the tip and ring od channel one (L) to the tip, tip and ring of channel two (R) to the sleeve and then marry the sleeve /ground signals together. This isn't working though. Any advice on the correct way to do this? Do the ring (-) signals need to be omitted? shorted to ground?

OK Thing two. I have 10 channels of good mic pre/input, AVEDIS, vintage API, Shadow hills etc. But I could use a few more channels and have a mackie 1202 laying around. Slighty low rent but will work as a stopgap I am sure. To use this I need to make insert cables, but without the return feature. Can anyone share the correct way to do this? Thanks!
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
First part, use resistors say 1K Ohms to link tip of 1 to tip of 2 (resistive mix). The junction of the resistors goes to Hot input.
Not sure about ring connections (Digi 192 doesn't say what to do with unbalanced destinations) but you can safely use 2 more 1K resistors and connect these to ground. This gets you a mono unbalanced signal.

Scenario 2
To use inserts as a send only, wire tip to ring and use that as the 'hot' of unbalanced send. Sleeve is ground obviously.
Matt S
Old 6th July 2009
Hey Matt Thanks!

So for the insert cable tie tip and ring together on both ends?
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
It is unbalanced so you need only single screened cable. Wire it to suit the 'destination'.
Matt S

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search