The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
furman lc-3a schematic???
Old 28th June 2009
furman lc-3a schematic???

i picked up a furman lc-3a project. i couldnt help it! it called to me!

anyways someone removed the xlr balanced outs it looks like. i cant find a schematic for this baby anywhere.

anybody got one? some photo's of the gutz would help out too.

i got it in a workable condition, through the 1/4th's so its not neccesarily the end of the world but i would like the xlr option back.
Old 2nd July 2009
im a dummy.

furman support was a+++++ and hooked me up. i just need to get some parts for her and figure out the schematic. might not be worth it in the long run.

throw that on the pile with the rest of the stuff ill probably never get around too.
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Those are really cool looking comps. I see them on ebay from time to time for usually under a hundred bucks. I don't know how they sound though, which is why I keep refraining from picking one up. If you ever fix yours up, please post what you think of it. I'd be curious to hear some feedback on it to know if it's worth buying. Thanks!
Old 9th July 2009
i got it working through the 1/4th's. im still kinda green with compression. ill play around with it this evening.

aparently some units didnt have the balanced in's and outs. they give the schemo with the manual though.
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Are the pcb's through-hole? I've also thought of picking one up to trick it out. If it's surface mount, I won't bother though.
Old 10th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
Are the pcb's through-hole? I've also thought of picking one up to trick it out. If it's surface mount, I won't bother though.

not familiar with that term. pcb is the board but im not sure what through hole means. the pcb can be completly removed if thats what your asking.

heres the guts.

mine got worked on. they moved the on/off toggle to front panel, which isnt a bad idea i guess. and added a fuse. they put the fuse inside the box in a rather cheap holder so i got a better one and front mounted it next to the toggle switch. two pots were shot and i had to order new ones, but after looking inside there i was wondering if it were possible to run wires from the pcb to sealed pots instead. thatd get rid off scratchy pots for good!

what sounds would you like to hear the unit process? ill make some clips and post them for you.
Attached Thumbnails
furman lc-3a schematic???-hpim0443.jpg  
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

It looks like it's through hole. That means that the component legs go through the pcb via a hole that has a solder pad. Surface mount stuff has flat solder pads and the components are soldered directly to the surface without going through the pcb. Surface mount stuff is a nightmare to work on, but cheaper to make.

Yes, you can used sealed pots. Just run wires from the pot to the pcb. Be sure to twist the wires, and careful not to lift any copper traces when you're removing the old pots.

I'd just be curious on the overall sound. Does it add coloration, is it transparent, etc? Would it work best as a "special effect" type compressor, or is it good all around? That kind of stuff. If I bought one, I'd probably completely gut it anyway, and add all new components, different chips, and some modifications, so exact clips wouldn't really be all that useful to me. Just the overall "vibe" is what I'm curious about.

Thanks for posting the pic!
Old 11th July 2009
[QUOTE=mexicola;4367029]It looks like it's through hole.

ah. yes. ive never encountered anything that wasnt through hole, so i was confused what you were referring too. the whole unit is through hole.

well, in overall sound unfortunately i wouldnt be a good candidate to give you an opinion that would be usefull, as this is the second compressor ive ever heard. im still trying to get my ears, so i couldnt tell ya what this does that others dont and so forth. wish i could.

the main reson i bought it was obviously price, and i know the furman name to be reliable, and it also turned up on a thread or two in this forum.

if you search out the thread, "most underrated compressor" theres a guy in there that mentioned this model that might have a more educated opinion on the unit then i could offer.

if you do find some mod's that would make the unit any better further down the line keep me informed id be intrested to try them.

the unit already had a copper trace or two lift from the board due to the previous owners work. i had too put in a jumper on two seperate traces from the pot too the left-over trace. seems to be working.

anytime with the photo's! anything i can do too help. the d.i.y. thing really intrests me, so im glad to help out in any way i can.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search