The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MIDI Confusion
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

MIDI Confusion

So, I am trying to figure out how to run my MP-7 as my sequence for all my hardware. I am trying to hook everything up MIDIwise and a bit confused. I've been through the MIDI basics lesson on tweakheadz and also read through the manuals but am a bit confused.

I want to use the MP-7 as a sequencer but would like to be able to use my MIDI controller keyboard with it too. I also want to be able to control my XV-5080 with the keyboard and possibly my ASR-X Pro. The MP-7 can do 32 MIDI tracks with the two outs but I am a bit lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

The MP-7 has 2 Outs and 1 In.
The ASR Pro has In, Out and Thru.
The XV has 2 Ins, 1 Out and a Thru.
And the keyboard has an In and an Out.

So, I think I've got it after much reading and watching some videos on youtube of a guy from like 1985. Someone please correct me if this seems off.

Keyboard Controller Out --> MP-7 Command Station In
MP-7 Out B (used as a thru) --> XV In
XV Thru --> ASR In

If I am correct, I believe with this setup I can sequence everything using the MP-7. I can control everything with the keyboard assuming I put whichever one I want on the channels I need for each MIDI track. The ASR and XV can go in whichever order, doesn't matter.

Is all this correct? Also, can I use the transport controls on the keyboard for the sequencer on the MP-7?

Last edited by Mannas; 26th June 2009 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: Got off my lazy ass and researched more
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Head

It's been years since I've fooled around with such workarounds to get multiple pieces of MIDI gear working together. (Heck, since multitrack audio and loop sequencing has become so easy, it's been years since I've done anything more than run one MIDI controller to one sound module.)

But, if memory serves, the MIDI THRU only echoes the MIDI IN. It's basically like the device in between doesn't exist. Therefore, I don't think the downstream devices (i.e., the XV and ASR) will see the upstream device (i.e., the MP-7).

What you really want is a MIDI patchbay/router. It's possible the MP-7, XV or ASR have merge and split functions built-in, but in lieu of that, you'd want to get a hardware based MIDI routing device. If you have a computer in the loop, a multiple in/out MIDI interface should do the trick.

If you don't need a computer in the loop, you should be able to find an old serial interface (i.e., non-USB) MOTU MIDI Express XT with 8 ins and 8 outs for cheap, and run it standalone in hardware mode. You would simply connect all the ins and outs on your devices to the various ports of the router, and use the controls on the box to store routing scenes.

You could also get away with a simple MIDI splitter ("thru") box. MIDI Solutions has one for <$40.

The picture would look like this:
Keyboard OUT -> MP-7 IN
MP-7 OUT -> MIDI splitter IN
MIDI splitter OUT1 -> ASR
MIDI splitter OUT2 -> XV

If the MP-7 doesn't have a merge mode where it merges its INput (from the keyboard controller) to its OUTput, then you'll only be able to control the ASR and XV from the MP-7 (sequencer). The keyboard would then just be a device for programming the sequencer or for playing sounds built in to the MP-7.

I would recommend saving yourself some patching and routing headaches and go with the multi-IN/multi-OUT patching device.

Good luck!
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

just make sure the midi menu settings for the following are true:

1) rechannelize input - always
2) keyboard outputs midi - don't transmit
3) knobs output midi - don't transmit
4) merge midi in to out - out a: off, out b: off

and in the controllers menu:

local control - on

then remember to turn local on/off on your master keyboard to off.

so now any gear you connect to the mp-7 outs is active when it's associated channel is selected in the mp-7, it will also be triggered by your master keyboard(when you start any new sequence you have to go to the midi menu and assign each channel to it's corresponding external device fyi)

to start a new sequence i always go to the midi menu and select say channels 9-12 as 9b, 10b, 11b, and 12b with 'ext' set on all four. now when i select any of those tracks on the mp-7 they are ready to go with my sampler. i just use one sampler hooked up to the mp-7 out b so i guess if i added more than one device in a daisy chain i would have to also set each device's midi receive channel as well. i'm still learning though so maybe someone can clarify for us.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search