The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API repairs
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

API repairs

I bought and old 1972 API 550A and it has a scratchy intermitant cut boost pot on the low freq band. Any suggestions of who I should have fix up my baby?
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Avedis at Brent Averill worked on my 550As a couple of years ago and did a superb job.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

cool thanks! I just found out there are no pots on a 550A only rotary switches which I can clean myself.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Cool. If you need an extra work done on it, I highly recommend taking it down to them, especially since you're in the area. They'll do a pretty thorough tune-up for a very reasonable price.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah if I can't handle it they are my first choice. I love their stuff and Avedis is a cool guy.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Try cleaning the switch with DeOxit or Cramolin before sending it out. This sounds like a dirty switch to me.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Since they have silver contacts cleaning is the first thing to try, Caig D-5 is very good. Having it recapped would also not be a bad idea...
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

If a module needs recapped are there subltle signs when listening or is it quite obvious that a module needs recapped? What are the symptoms? This is my first antique piece of gear.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

A little deox and it's brand new god this EQ is amazing! I checked inside when cleaning and the OPAMPS were labeled melville and Huntinton. Good news.

Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

I knew it. I've worked many miracles with Cramolin (the predecessor to DeOxit).
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
If a module needs recapped are there subltle signs when listening or is it quite obvious that a module needs recapped? What are the symptoms? This is my first antique piece of gear.
The low end is the first to go if it's a bad cap, but if it was me and they were 20+ years old I would replace them anyway. That way your sure they are up to date...
Old 19th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm not gonna recap them until I don't like the way they sound. They sound great right now...however these things are over 30yrs old so I'm sure it the recap procedure will be coming up. Anybody know how much it costs to recap a 550A??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search