The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
002R Power Harness cleaning??
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Geekslutz. My 002R is having all the symptoms of a "Power Harness Faliure". The problem is that I do not know what or wich is this element inside the Box. Max Cooper described in this thread but I cant figure out the exact piece in order to clean it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...=power+harness

If someone can Help appreciate it.........Joaquin.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

This is from the official "Digi 002 Rack DC Harness Replacement Procedeure (C/P)

(Not word for word; but you'll get the idea.)

Take out the screws and take the lid off.

Use flathead screwdriver to wedge inbetween the DC harness connector and the header on the PSU. Rotate the screwdriver slightly to remove the headphone jack which is adjacent to the power supply. When removing the rest of the DC harness connectors, observe the polarity (get those digital cameras out, people.) The connectors fit in the headers only one way.

(and my favorite line): You need to make sure you install the replacement correctly!

Remove the DC harness connectors from the Digital and Analog boards (on my unit, the connectors on the harness are labeled "Digital" and "Analog" respectively.

Use wirecutters to cut the tie wrap which is securing the DC harness to the blue and brown cable (careful when cutting that tie wrap!)

(You're gonna deviate here; the instructions will tell you to replace the harness, but you're just going to clean the contacts.) Discard the old DC harness and install the replacement. Make sure the harness is installed beneath the ribbon cables.

and a sidebar:

Before reconnecting the harness, we would advise you to take 2 minutes of your time (as opposed to 2 minutes of Digi's time) and clean the connector pins of your boards.
(They go on to recommend De-Oxit on the pins, then wiping them clean.) If your connector pins still show some 'dirt' (which I read as oxidation...I was told the problem was oxidation and was more prevalent in humid climates) then apply more De-Oxit and repeat. Once they're clean, apply some Pro-Gold to the pins. If you experience this problem again, follow the clean/preserve steps etc...

(And the big finish)

Snap connectors into place.

Put the lid on, and put the screws on.

Plug in the unit; turn it on. the 'Mute' LED should be on and no other LED's should be on at this time.

Press the 'Mute', 'Solo' and Alt Src' buttons in turn, toggling their respective LED's on and off.

(That's the last sentence; I guess that if the LED's toggle on and off, you're good to go. No directions for those who have failed in their mission except to repeat the procedure.)

BTW, this was a total piece of cake. I put Digi's directions here just to be thorough. Oh, if you don't already know, the power harness is that has three plastic connectors on it and red, blue, black, yellow and white wires connecting them.

My 002 rack was acting up soon after I got it; so I called Digi and they told me that the unit was way out of range to have the power harness problem. A few months later it didn't work at all one day, and they told me they had extended the 'problem range'. They way you'll know this is the problem you have is that the 'Mute' light won't go away.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Max!! I'll operate this afternoon and tell you how it went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cooper
Before reconnecting the harness, we would advise you to take 2 minutes of your time (as opposed to 2 minutes of Digi's time) and clean the connector pins of your boards.
............... heh
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hey MAx one more time Thanks!! It worked!! The only problem was to get the connector to the Power supply out, the instructions you posted may be for the 002 with the controller
Quote:
Rotate the screwdriver slightly to remove the headphone jack which is adjacent to the power supply
My was far enough from the Headphone jack to touch it!?
Thanks again....................Joaquin.
Old 4th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
This is from the official "Digi 002 Rack DC Harness Replacement Procedeure (C/P)

Use flathead screwdriver to wedge inbetween the DC harness connector and the header on the PSU. Rotate the screwdriver slightly to remove the headphone jack which is adjacent to the power supply. When removing the rest of the DC harness connectors, observe the polarity (get those digital cameras out, people.) The connectors fit in the headers only one way.

(and my favorite line): You need to make sure you install the replacement correctly!

Remove the DC harness connectors from the Digital and Analog boards (on my unit, the connectors on the harness are labeled "Digital" and "Analog" respectively.

Use wirecutters to cut the tie wrap which is securing the DC harness to the blue and brown cable (careful when cutting that tie wrap!)

(You're gonna deviate here; the instructions will tell you to replace the harness, but you're just going to clean the contacts.) Discard the old DC harness and install the replacement. Make sure the harness is installed beneath the ribbon cables.

and a sidebar:

(They go on to recommend De-Oxit on the pins, then wiping them clean.) If your connector pins still show some 'dirt' (which I read as oxidation...I was told the problem was oxidation and was more prevalent in humid climates) then apply more De-Oxit and repeat. Once they're clean, apply some Pro-Gold to the pins. If you experience this problem again, follow the clean/preserve steps etc...

(And the big finish)

Plug in the unit; turn it on. the 'Mute' LED should be on and no other LED's should be on at this time.

Press the 'Mute', 'Solo' and Alt Src' buttons in turn, toggling their respective LED's on and off.

(That's the last sentence; I guess that if the LED's toggle on and off, you're good to go. No directions for those who have failed in their mission except to repeat the procedure.)

BTW, this was a total piece of cake. I put Digi's directions here just to be thorough. Oh, if you don't already know, the power harness is that has three plastic connectors on it and red, blue, black, yellow and white wires connecting them.

My 002 rack was acting up soon after I got it; so I called Digi and they told me that the unit was way out of range to have the power harness problem. A few months later it didn't work at all one day, and they told me they had extended the 'problem range'. They way you'll know this is the problem you have is that the 'Mute' light won't go away.
Hey Max, that solution worked like a charm for me as well! I have 002 rack and I had the same exact problem. I was almost about to give up Digi for good. I normally use my MOTU HD192 for recording, unless I get clients coming in with Pro Tools sessions, so now my problems are finally solved, now it's back to work.
Thanks again Max!!!!!!!
Old 5th September 2005
Here for the gear

I had all sorts of trouble with digidesign trying to get the power harness problem sorted under warranty. Finally did it my self and have not had a problem since.
Old 5th September 2005
Lives for gear

Give Digidesign a call and they will mail you a brand new harness and picture aided instructions. I went through the same thing with my 002R and it is a pretty easy fix but difficult to explain on a chat thread. Good Luck!
Old 19th January 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post

and a sidebar:

(And the big finish)

I was silly enough to miss a very small detail in this post - the little 'R' on 002. I pulled apart my 002 controller trying to find the power harness near the headphone jack. Oops! Anyway, for anyone with a 002 controller who wants to find the power harness it is the only thing attached to the back plate. Just take off the back plate and clean the two connections on the power harness.
Old 19th January 2009
Gear Addict

If your serial # ends in an "F" or lower, you should call Digi for a replacement harness. It's a standard repair (done for free whether in warranty or not) which includes a new harness for those earlier models that has four-sided contact (instead of just 2) and is sealed better to prevent oxidization. FWIW, cleaning the cable may just be a temporary solution - for long term, you'll want to get a replacement.
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

a pal said to clean the connections every 6 months....

Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

This days... I just let my 002 run in to it's troubled nature from time to time and fix it on the spot with some hooking and un- hooking of the Molex connectors.... I've left only two screws holding the top plate of my 002R...
...Want my native HD.
cheers!
Old 2nd November 2010
Here for the gear

cant find power harness

Hi all. please excuse my lack of knowledge on this issue. i cant seem to find the power harness nore do i know what it looks like.can someone send me a photo or more info.using a digi 002 rack.need to clean power harness or so i think.

thanks
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post

and a sidebar:

(And the big finish)

Did this fix and it totally worked! Just deoxit them rainbow molex connectors and now relays are switching on properly! Thanks Max!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search