The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Spectra Sonics 610
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Spectra Sonics 610

I have one of these that the VU meter bulbs are burned out. Any idea where to get them? There are four bulbs mounted on a card. They appear to bre soldered in.
Thanks
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

My copy of the 610 manual is completely devoid of any specs for the lamps. See if you can find any markings, anywhere, on the glass bulb or metal base. You will probably need to use a magnifying glass.

Bri
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Even with a magnifying glass, these 51 year old eyes could see no markings. And I think my VOM is on the fritz, I did't get a dc voltage reading, only a 27 V AC.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

The schemo shows the four bulbs are wired in parallel, then across the secondary of the power transformer, with a 47 Ohm resistor in series with one end of the lamp "cluster". That explains why you were seeing AC there.

Taking an educated guess, if the bulbs were each rated at 24V, 25 mA, with four pulling a total of 100 mA, then there would be 4.7V dropped across the resistor...getting into the ballpark of 24V across the cluster.

Bri

PS, *these* 51 year old eyes frequently need an assist from a magnifier as well, even with the fancy "progressive lenses" in my eyeglasses.......

http://www.rothtech.org/queue/IMG_0511.JPG
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Addict

Being someone who hates the look of burnt out light bulbs in VU meters, I just quickly modified a SS 610 that I had in here for service. I replaced the 4 burnt out lamps with 4 amber LED's. I put the 4 in series with a diode, 1K resistor and a cap across the rectified DC. It all fit in very nicely on the SS pcb.

While not being as bright as the lamps were, I doubt the customer will ever have to look at a non-illuminated VU ever again.

-Tony

PS: Brian, thanks for the info! The unit calibrated out perfectly.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Brian and Tony.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

We have a pair of 610's and the same thing happened. We sent them back to the factory last year, and they recapped them and changed the meters.

Damn they sound great. Get yours recapped man!

Once the red light comes on, it starts to sound good.
Old 5th September 2007
Here for the gear

Here's the new Spectra Sonics website: Spectra Sonics 610 Home

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search