The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help racking Sony MXP3036 EQ's
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Addict

Help racking Sony MXP3036 EQ's

Hi. I just sold my Sony MXP 3036 console, but I kept some of it's MXBK-EQ32 EQ's and now I'm rebuilding and racking them. Looking for some advice on replacement parts. My metal working skills and soldering skills are great, but I'm not so good with electronics.

here's the lowdown on the components.
each EQ has

four TL071CP ic's
five NE5532AP ic's
two 220uf 16v electrolytics
twenty one 47uf 16v electrolytics
four 100uf 16v electrolytics
twenty 22uf 35v electrolytics

i'm going to mount 4 of them in one rack along with 4 john harday pre's.
i need a power supply that will provide +/- 18v to these eight modules and another to provide +48v to the mic pre's.

looking for suggestions on good power supplies and chip/cap upgrades. the fact that all the caps are 16v seems weird to me since they are getting 18v of power.

thanks!
Old 6th September 2005
A power one 3 amp +-15 volt supply will work fine. You can trim it up to 16.5 volts. Replace the slooooow clogged bipolar caps with Panasonic FM, Rubycon Z or Elna cerafine or Rubycon Black Gates. Check the polarization voltages with a meter so you put them in the right way. Bypass with Wima MKP-2 250v caps, they will clear and fit on the back of the pcb.

Replace the TL071's with Linear tech LT1357's. Try LT1358's for the 5532's. I will usually enlarge the coupling caps by an octave, use 100 uf for 47, 47 for 22, etc. The 220 uf's can stay the same value. Check for dc at the opamp's outputs. The LT parts are precision so they have almost no offset. If you read under 5 mv, just jumper the next coupling cap as you won't need it.

Replace the EQ filter caps with either Wima FKP-2 or MIT MultiCaps. Use the highest voltage you can fit.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 2nd July 2010
Gear Addict

thumbsup
Old 3rd July 2010
Lives for gear

For just a handful of modules, I woould believe that one of the JLM or Fivefish PSU cards would suffice.

Best,

Bri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search