The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
running a mult w/o imedpance matching/quality loss
Old 7th August 2005
There is only one

running a mult w/o imedpance matching/quality loss

im setting up a studio to track a new album and have been thinking about my setup for it. i track fully in the DAW and will be using outboard preamps for the session along with some other kinky gear.

BUT the issue of monitoring during tracking has come up and i was thinking about dragging a behringer board [flame on, i dont care] strictly for running stuff to headphone distro [furman more me system] and to run output to a webcast we are thinking about doing for the tracking session.

so i was wondering.... if i have a patchbay that the preamps are running into with them "normalled" into the ADC's... can i simply run the other side of the line in out to the boards inputs to monitor off of and create submixes on for the band without affecting the signals sent to the convertors?
Old 8th August 2005

Basically, yes. The high impedance of the board and converter inputs will not load the low impedance output of the pre-amp.

If you have obsolete pre-amps with transformer coupled outputs expecting to see a 600 ohm balanced load, you might see some wierdness. Adding a second high-impedance input to this won't change it, though.

-tINY

Old 8th August 2005
There is only one

so no deleterious effects in doing this? last thing i want would be to compromise what im feeding in just to monitor.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

You should be able to mult one line level source to several "bridging" line inputs with no problems. I'm assuming everything involved has balanced I/O.

Bri
Old 9th August 2005
There is only one

yes, all balanced. whew, at least one idea is going right this week for the project. now i am remembering why i dont do temporary studio setups but its still fun despite the headaches.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

There's a good discussion that touches on what you're doing going on here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...readid=1008291

Give it a look. Paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search