The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recapping some 1066s
Old 6th August 2005
Here for the gear
Recapping some 1066s

I've been to Digi-Key, Mouser, Farnell, RS and still can't find some of the right values for the axial electrolytics I'm needing to replace....odd values like 5n/64v & 64n/4v. Even the 125/4v is impossible to find. The lowest voltage available is 6.3 which would be fine, but I'm gonna have to do some wacky series/parallel crap to get a 125µF value. Should I go higher or lower? Orrrrrr.....does any geek out there know where I can find new caps with those odd old English values?

Please email me directly.

Thanks, BW
[email protected]
Old 7th August 2005
Gear Nut

I'm sure this topic is covered in the archives of this forum, but I'll chime in anyway. Firstly, this artice by John Klett is quite useful to get you started: http://www.technicalaudio.com/readin...1081/1081.html

To paraphrase him, he recommends replacing like with like - axial caps with axial, and radial caps with radial.

In terms of voltage ratings, it's okay to go upto the next voltage rating - so 6.3V for 4V and 35V for 24V for example. It is also okay to uprate the capacitance value, so just use the nearest value above the specified one - never use less.

Always use 105 degree C rated caps - these Neves get pretty hot!

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search