The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need Macintosh web programmer advice
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Unhappy Need Macintosh web programmer advice

Folks,

I know this is off-topic for an audio group, but this is a techie forum so what the heck.

I have some Javascript code on my web site that works perfectly well on Windows computers, but not so well on Macs, even brand new Macs running OS X. This surprises me because the whole point of Javascript was to create a platform independent language, no? I'm not much of a Javascript expert, and I know nothing about Macs, so I'm not sure where to even start looking.

One problem is simple, and the fix was simple: I have code that uses an ASCII code for the "at" sign to hide my email address, and on Macs the literal number ends up in the email address. Okay, I put back the "at" sign and hide the address a different way. Though it'd be nice to know why Macs balk at code that uses a literal number in otherwise working concatenation code.

The more serious problem is a form on my site that launches an email. When Mac users click the "Submit" button nothing happens. No error or other message either. Again, this works perfectly well on all Windows computers. And I'm not enough of a Javascript expert to do tricky stuff, so the code is all plain vanilla.

Does anyone here have any advice? Or maybe a link to a "Mac Java compatibility" web page or something like that?

Thanks.

--Ethan
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ethan,
I was going to take a look at it for you but I can't find the form you're talking about.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

BB,

> I was going to take a look at it for you but I can't find the form you're talking about. <

Thanks. It's a "hidden" page I created to let overseas customers submit their credit cards securely. I'm confident the code and encryption method is secure, but I'd prefer not to post a link publicly. If you're willing to have a look I'd be most grateful. Would you mind emailing me? My email address is on the Contact page at www.realtraps.com.

Thanks!

--Ethan
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ah, I see. I sent you an email.
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Guru

BB,

Just to follow up here, thanks very much for your help yesterday.

I had another thought: The problem with the email not launching may be Windows specific, so I'm going to put a second button on the page that will crunch the data and populate a text field. So if the email fails to pop up, people can at least copy and paste the encrypted string manually. I hope it's okay with you - when I get that in place I'll send you an email and maybe you can just try that one feature and let me know if it works.

Thanks again.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search