The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Upgarding ADC?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

Upgarding ADC?

Forgive me if this is a naive question, I know just enough to be a danger to myself!

My Metric Halo 2882 uses AK5383 ADC. Looking at the specs, pinout, etc, the 5383 appears to spec better while being otherwise identical, though consuming more power. Is it possible to swap the 5383 for 5393? If possible, would it be worth the effort? Or are there other ADC's that spec better that would work?
Obviously, with my limited knowledge, someone else would be handling any mods.

Thanks,
Jed
Old 4th August 2005

It probably isn't worth the hassle. the extra 7dB of S/N is so far below the noise floor of your sources (unless you're sloppy about trimming your gains) that you won't likely hear a difference.

I'd look for another place to get high on solder fumes.....

That said, I'd charge you for doing the work if I were in that line of business, currently.

-tINY

Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

It probably isn't worth the hassle. the extra 7dB of S/N is so far below the noise floor of your sources (unless you're sloppy about trimming your gains) that you won't likely hear a difference.

I'd look for another place to get high on solder fumes.....

That said, I'd charge you for doing the work if I were in that line of business, currently.

-tINY

Thanks for the reply.
I'm sure you're correct about the S/N gains being inconsequential. I've just seen some negative comments about the 5383, and knew that the HD24 mod uses 5393, but that improvemet is likely due more the improved analog components than the ADC.
I don't have any complaints about the conversion, just looking to take things to the next level without throwing too much money at the problem...
Like I said before, I know just about enough to be dangerous!

Jed
Old 5th August 2005

If you are looking to spend less money, think about a two channel unit and the digital inputs to your existing box....

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search