The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building an Equalizer
Old 7th May 2009
Gear maniac

Building an Equalizer

Hi . I live in Atlanta and would like to know how to go by finding some one in Atlanta to build a equalizer ? Thanks .
Old 7th May 2009
Gear addict

I don"t know about anyone building you one but I believe there a few kits out there you can build that aren"t too bad if your handy with a soldering iron...

Maybe something like this :

PAiA - 6760K Parametric Equalizer Kit, Studio Series, 6760K

I have built a couple of there kits and they are pretty good ....

cheers
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top40Music View Post
Hi . I live in Atlanta and would like to know how to go by finding some one in Atlanta to build a equalizer ? Thanks .
search wiki

read about filters. Inductor, Resistance, Capacitors.
Old 7th May 2009
Gear addict

If someone's going to build you a decent equalizer, chances are that you're going to end up paying them more that it would cost to go buy a readily available model. The time involved and the parts cost, when unable to take advantage of large-scale orders like the big boys, is rather large. Just a heads up, as I've pondered building one myself. When i crunch the time and numbers, its only worth it as an educational experience and for the cool factor of having a homemade piece.

ben
Old 7th May 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubya View Post
If someone's going to build you a decent equalizer, chances are that you're going to end up paying them more that it would cost to go buy a readily available model. The time involved and the parts cost, when unable to take advantage of large-scale orders like the big boys, is rather large. Just a heads up, as I've pondered building one myself. When i crunch the time and numbers, its only worth it as an educational experience and for the cool factor of having a homemade piece.

ben
Thanks for the heads up . I was thinking if you go into a tech shop with a EQ kit and the specks they can put together a Class A unit at a fraction of the cost .
Old 7th May 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubya View Post
If someone's going to build you a decent equalizer, chances are that you're going to end up paying them more that it would cost to go buy a readily available model.
No kidding.

Here's a great design for a parametric EQ:

Spectrum Analyzer and Equalizer Designs

Scroll to about halfway down the page to "Equalizer Designs."

--Ethan
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search