The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Console Problems . . .
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Console Problems . . .

hello everyone . . . my TAC Scorpion ii has an issue with the main monitor volume knob on the s4001 master module . . . I don't know if it's a bad pot, a blown capacitor or what . . . but when I try and turn the monitor knob up or down . . . I get a lot of noise and intermittent signal over the left and right channels. I have to work the knob back and forth and tap it etc. just to get the signal in non distorted stereo. This happens every time I touch it. Not only that . . . but when I'm wrenching back and forth on the monitor knob . . . I can see minute fluctuatiuons in the stereo mix VU meter. I tried replacing the opamp (tlo72) with an LT1358 . . . but that didn't fix it. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Justin
Old 2nd August 2005
Remove the metal frame and re-solder the control room pot. If that doesn't help, replace the CD4053 cmos switch that does the dim circuit around the control room pot.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

There doesn't seem to be a dim circuit . . . only a switch to mute the monitor out . . . and another to change the monitor out to mono . . . should I replace these switches?

Thanks,
Justin
Old 2nd August 2005

Justin,

Mechanical things are always going to break down before electronic things. I would say the pot has had it's day and needs replacing, or, the soldering of the pot to the board has come adrift. If it's not the soldering, you might be able to resurrect the pot with a spray treatment, but this will be temporary. The monitor pot gets the most use on any console and therefore is usually the first to break.

The signal also passes thru the mute switch and mono switch, these might also be getting worn out and a spray might help. The dim circuit is there, there is no switch, it dims the the monitors when using talkback. Unlikely the 4053 would be causing this problem. Pull the module, and inspect the soldering, look for broken joints.

Oh, and turn the console OFF before pulling the module!

Cheers
Tim.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks everyone!

Justin
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Once Upon A Time, I used to cite the "Roth Rule":

50% of all electronic failures are due to a mechanical/connector breakdown, 50% is everything else.

In the meantime, Bill Ruck, a good friend of mine with many years as a radio broadcast as well as recording engineer in the Bay Area, begs to differ with MY rule. Henceforth, the Roth-Ruck Rule, with tongue planted only slightly-in-cheek:

"90% of all electronics fail due to connections/connectors...10% is anything else."

Sliding wipers on the resistor "tracks" inside of a pot fit into that rule.....I'd say "the Pot is Shot"!

Bri
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth
Once Upon A Time, I used to cite the "Roth Rule":

50% of all electronic failures are due to a mechanical/connector breakdown, 50% is everything else.

In the meantime, Bill Ruck, a good friend of mine with many years as a radio broadcast as well as recording engineer in the Bay Area, begs to differ with MY rule. Henceforth, the Roth-Ruck Rule, with tongue planted only slightly-in-cheek:

"90% of all electronics fail due to connections/connectors...10% is anything else."

Sliding wipers on the resistor "tracks" inside of a pot fit into that rule.....I'd say "the Pot is Shot"!

Bri
sounds good brian!! although I was waiting for the 99.44% to be thrown out there as well!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search