The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avalon 737 sp help?
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Avalon 737 sp help?

I have a avalon737sp that has recently stopped working.

symptoms: Turns on still, light up and all, but there is no sound on any inputs or out puts, and the meter no longer moves.

Any suggestions are helpful, I dont plan on fixing myself unless its possible, I just dont wanna get ripped of by the repair man.

thanks in advance.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Make sure that you have the correct input setting selected i.e Inst.-mic-line.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz
Make sure that you have the correct input setting selected i.e Inst.-mic-line.

Ouch! I hope I didnt com off that newbie.....
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O
Ouch! I hope I didnt com off that newbie.....
Sorry. No insult intended.
Under warranty or not I would contact Avalon first.
I have several pieces of Avalon gear and have only needed to contact them once. They were very helpful. I've read they may be a little difficult to reach these days but they're also known to go above and beyond when it comes to servicing their gear.
You're better off calling them.

http://www.avalondesign.com/index-main.html
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Addict

Good Luck.

I'm now into 2 months and still no replacement parts from them.

-Tony
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

this is a stereo unit, so:
if both sides dont work, i would suspect something common to both channels: a power supply issue.

so, this is a tube unit so there will be a single hi power rail (between 140volts and 300 volts so be careful, real careful) to power the tubes and there is usually a fuse on the ac side of this.

also, the 6 or 12 volt heater voltage that heats the tubes would cause both sides to go down. check to see of you have the tell tale amber glow of heaters in the tube.

there could be a soft start muting circuit that waits for a while when you turn it on so you dont damage something and then turns the rest of the unit on. Im not sure if it does, but those kind of tricky circuits are the first to fail.

those are the only things i can think of that would kill both channels completely without having to drop the unit from the roof.

hope this helps
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorris
this is a stereo unit, so:
if both sides dont work, i would suspect something common to both channels: a power supply issue.

so, this is a tube unit so there will be a single hi power rail (between 140volts and 300 volts so be careful, real careful) to power the tubes and there is usually a fuse on the ac side of this.

also, the 6 or 12 volt heater voltage that heats the tubes would cause both sides to go down. check to see of you have the tell tale amber glow of heaters in the tube.

there could be a soft start muting circuit that waits for a while when you turn it on so you dont damage something and then turns the rest of the unit on. Im not sure if it does, but those kind of tricky circuits are the first to fail.

those are the only things i can think of that would kill both channels completely without having to drop the unit from the roof.

hope this helps
737...stereo???
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

ah, when i googled it, it gave me a stereo unit. sorry.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

thanks alot for the replys. Ill come back and let you know how it turned out.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Its been almost a year. How did it turn out?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search