The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much would this piece of gear cost to build? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

How much would this piece of gear cost to build?

Please excuse the crude layout here. All I've got to mock something like this up is an older version of iWeb.

It's a slightly intense M/S processing box. If I were looking to hire someone to put this thing together for me, and I wanted a build quality equal to the Chameleon Labs gear, what might it cost? Here's a quick rundown on the features in case the awsome mockup/drawing is confusing.

It's most likely a 3 space unit that's broken up into 5 "sections". From left to right:

Metering Section:

-Decent meters for reading both the L/R channels and M/S channels
-Switchable between input and output
-Swichable between peak and rms

Insert Section:

-All inserts have balanced TRS inputs and outputs and are switchable on/off
-Mid Insert and Side Insert
-ST. Insert A and B
-ST. Insert B is switchable to be placed before insert A
-ST. Inserts A + B switchable as a pair to be placed before the Mid and Side Inserts
-Insert Sum for the Mid channel, switchable on/off
-ST Insert Sum switchable between the Side, ST A or ST B Inserts, switchable on/off

Mid Processing Section:

-Very simple, yet "good sounding" tilt style EQ similar to Tonelux Tilt on their preamp
-Tilt switchable on/off
-Pre/Post switch for placing the "TILT" EQ before or after the insert section
-HP filter switchable between 4 points
-Peak function on the HP filter for a slight boost just below the cutoff frequency

Mid Processing Section:

-Identical Tilt function as the MID section
-L/R balance knob with a detented center position
-Pre/Post switch identical to MID section
-HP filter with slightly different cutoff frequencies
-Peak function

Output Section:

-Overall "Width" control
-Output knob
-Full Bypass button for bypassing all of the units inserts/processing/filters, etc. including output gain and width.

I had some other ideas, like switchable transformers that can be placed in different areas of the signal path, and being able to place the HP filters between different insert points. Using DSub connectors for I/O. I LOVE boxes like this that are mostly about routing and flexibility and offer just a couple key processing points.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MS BOX.pdf (30.6 KB, 253 views)
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
As a 'one off' it will be very expensive unless it is 'knocked up on the kitchen table' and you find someone capable and willing to do it mostly for 'fun'.
It it is to be sold it should have safety approval and be constructed using lead free and comply with WEEE regulations, all of which costs MONEY.
Matt S
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
Actually it might be worthwhile doing some 'market research' and if you can get a decent consensus on what facilities it would have, take the idea to an established manufacturer of 'boutique' gear of a similar design and run it past them. If you could shift say 100 or more units it may be a worthwhile project.
They will have done at least some of the 'safety and compliance' issues.
Matt S
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

It would definatly be a one off, and I do know a couple different guys that might be interested in doing the build, and helping with the design. The cost I'm asking about is more in terms of estimated price on parts. Not looking for an audiophile, mastering quality unit here. But would like it to be fairly solid, and not screw up the signal. Like the Chameleon Labs line of gear. A nice middle ground.
Old 8th April 2009

You used to be able to get 2-sided circuit boards on prototype runs made in china far a couple hundred bucks. You had to use thier software and were limited a bit.

Good pots will cost about $10-20 each - the case might be had for $600.

Meters can get pricey.

-tINY

Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

You used to be able to get 2-sided circuit boards on prototype runs made in china far a couple hundred bucks. You had to use thier software and were limited a bit.

Good pots will cost about $10-20 each - the case might be had for $600.

Meters can get pricey.

-tINY

Right on, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Ballpark estimates. I was hoping this thing could possibly be built for around $1.5K. I'de also be willing to cut certain features if they had to be. Maybe just one set of meters for instance.
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
If you are including audio transformers, either in or out they are expensive (think 60 Dollars or more).
If you are using ICs then they are say 5 Dollars each if they are 'fancy'. Probably 8 of these .
Meters, how many segments and what resolution and accuracy?
1K5 Dollars SHOULD be achievable for parts the labour for the design will be on top I would expect.
Matt S
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
If you are including audio transformers, either in or out they are expensive (think 60 Dollars or more).
If you are using ICs then they are say 5 Dollars each if they are 'fancy'. Probably 8 of these .
Meters, how many segments and what resolution and accuracy?
1K5 Dollars SHOULD be achievable for parts the labour for the design will be on top I would expect.
Matt S
Awsome. I'm actually "right on" with my guess-timate about this thing. Most likely will use IC's. Maybe a transformer option for the output or something.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search