The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need help identifying a couple pots.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Need help identifying a couple pots.

One says
50K ohm which is pretty self explainatory. It also says 261O ("O" as in ostrich)
what does this indicate?
It's an eq pot for my mixing board.

Also,
The one I really need is a 10k ohm pot for a fader on the same board.
It also says 5L RV24

I'm wondering if these are indicators at all for the wattage or for something else?
In any regard, I need to make an estimation for the wattage so I can order a few new pots, one of which I totally destroyed while trying to clean.

Anyway, any info would be much appreciated.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Ah.....????

I don't think it would violate the doctor-client privilege if you told us the name and brand of the mixer.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Oops,

It's a Yamaha PM1000. I'm the same guy who made a post concerning the headphone pot awhile back, but I cleaned that enough that it's not a huge priority anymore.

I pretty much broke the wiper in the buss pot though, and that's one I REALLY need.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonk
Oops,

It's a Yamaha PM1000. I'm the same guy who made a post concerning the headphone pot awhile back, but I cleaned that enough that it's not a huge priority anymore.

I pretty much broke the wiper in the buss pot though, and that's one I REALLY need.
Almost any .5 watt pot will work. I wouldn't bother trying to find an exact replacement unless someone knows of a PM1000 user group that supports the mixer. I'm guessing that the RV24 meant that is was 24mm pot.

Find a 10K-A pot with similar mechanial specifications. That is, a rotary pot with the same pot diamenter (or less), the same shaft type and length, bushing type and length. Common pot diameters for this vintage mixer would be 24mm, 16mm or 12mm. Common bushing diamenters would be 3/8", 8mm, or 6mm. If it's a PC mount pot, then your have fewer choices.

Mouser has a good selection of "Alpha" brand 5.W rotary pots that would work.

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&han...60000&crc=true

How many buss pots are there? Youd might want to go ahead and replace all of them while you have the mixer open.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Awesome. thanks Vince!

a half watt would probably be good for eq and pan pots too then?
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

I just took "field measurements" on the pot in a Yamaha 1000 submaster module.

The body is 0.897" diameter (23mm?) with a 0.355" diameter bushing (9mm?). The shaft diameter is 0.240" diameter (6mm?) by approx. 0.430" in length.

The shaft length rules out the 24mm Alpha audio taper pots from Mouser, which have a 0.335" long shaft. However, the 16mm diameter Alphas:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/622/471.pdf

have 0.50" long shafts which would work. The "locating" tab on those Alpha pots is likely in the wrong location compared to the OEM pot so you might have to drill a hole on the bracket to accomodate the different spacing. The 7mm bushing diameter of the bushing will be a loose fit, but should be survivable. You might also have to ream-out the center hole of the nylon wheel that attaches to the pot to accomodate the 0.250" shaft diameter of the Alpha pot. The Alpha pots specify a 300 degree shaft travel, but I have no accurate way to measure the OEM pot's shaft travel.

This is the part that MIGHT work:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&han...*&N=0&crc=true

I also see that the schemo and pot refer to a "D" taper, which is a modified audio taper. Hence, any standard audio taper pot will likely have somewhat different audio level tracking compared to the original.

The EQ pots are another story. Yamaha used a center-tapped pot so the EQ was "out" when the pot is centered. I dunno where you'll find those.

Bri
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Wow,

Thanks so much Brian. You guys are so much help.

Jon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search