The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How does Alan Parsons do what he does?
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Nut

How does Alan Parsons do what he does?

Hey there, this is my first post to the list, and i'm psyched to see what kind of feedback i'll get!

So i'm a lifelong alan parsons fan, and in the service of boosting my own chops, i'd love to (at least attempt) to emulate his sound circa 1978-1982 (or for all those projectifiles out there, from i robot to eyes in the sky--anything after that is a little eighties for my tastes, but i'm not saying i won't accept stereotomy tips)

I've searched the forums, haven't found much mention of the man himself. I have the interview of him from Behind the Glass, but i want more. I want to know how he got that particular snare sound on games people play, or his approach to double tracking vocals, all that stuff.

Does anyone here think they can shed some light on how the man do what he do?

thanks in advance,

nick

Last edited by crackmandu; 1st April 2009 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
Simple, experience, experimentation and working gear from the '70's (which is impossible to ACCURATELY reproduce as any 'repairs are by definition, modern).
Matt S
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Oh, and don't forget huge british studios and the London Symphony Orchestra... and kick-ass studio musicians.heh
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear Addict

I actually did my dissertation on Alan Parsons, in particular his work on Dark Side of the Moon which I guess is a bit early for what you are looking for. Overall, I couldn't find out too much more than what is in Behind the Glass, although there is some information in The "Dark Side of the Moon": The Making of the "Pink Floyd" Masterpiece by John Harris. If I remember correctly there is also some information on the DVD with the same (or similar) name to the book. Either way, it is quite a good watch and shows quite a lot of footage of the recording process.

In regards to his double tracking though, David Gilmour was really the key on Dark Side of the Moon, Parsons regarded him as one of the best vocal/guitar double trackers he had ever worked with. However, all of this information is from the early 70's so it may not apply for his later stuff.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 3rd April 2009
Here for the gear

New DVD

Alan Parsons is working on a dvd, not music, but an educational documentary. I've seen bits of it and it rocks. He interviews engineers and musicians about their recording experiences. He himself explains tons of techniques and how he does what he does. The company that is doing this production with him is Keyfax and his web site is AlanParsonsmusic.com

Check it out
Old 3rd April 2009
Gear Maniac

as far as dark side, I worked with a guy who recorded the clocks for time. used a head with gel packs and an early digital recorder. F1. holophonics. sounds great with headphones.
Old 23rd April 2010
Alan Parsons will be next gearslutz.com Q & A guest starts soon

Alan Parsons - Bio FAQ Discography

Old 23rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Wow, very cool!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search