The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fletcher-PM1000 transformer question
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Fletcher-PM1000 transformer question

Hi Fletcher,

I thought I 'd ask you since I remember reading that you had done a few mods on your PM1000.

There's a direct out modification that folks over at the lab (prodigy forums) have come up with that is super easy (the kind I like) but it needs extra output transformers, and people are interested enough in the original PM1000 output xformers that they're not available anymore for $100 for 8 or so, like they used to be.

Anyway, I'd like to try the mod on about eight channels so I was figuring, I'd like some extra gain too, maybe I can find a stepup 1:2 output transformer that I can substitute for the original tamuras that sounds awesome and costs about the same as what the tamuras are going for now.

I havn't found anyone yet though who's used a different transformer for this mod, so I have no idea what might work. Someone suggested Cinemag, but I'm not sure which cinemag would work.

But I thought I'd ask you because of your experience building gear and exerience w/ the PM1000 specifically.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonk
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Boink!

Okay, it doesn't HAVE to be Fletcher.

Anybody?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

i could be wrong, but i don't think fletcher did any mods to his pm-1000, but like i said, i could be wrong...
joshua
Old 19th July 2005
Here for the gear

Hi Jonk,

You are probably better posting questions like this at the lab (there are many helpful people there) or maybe in Geeksluts... but here goes...

All of the below transformers will do the trick:

CMOQ-1H, CMOQ-1L, CMOQ-2H, CMOQ-2L, CMOQ-2S, CMOQ-3H, CMOQ-3L, CMOQ-4H

I'd stick with one of the CMOQ-2's the letters are indicative of what the core is made out of so S - Steel (more distortion / fattness), H - 80% Nickle to Steel (more hifi / pure), L - 50% Nickle to Steel (kinda inbetween the S & H). All of these transformers will let you do 1:1, 1:2 or 1:3 ratios.

Cinemag is a great company to deal with, their prices are very reasonable & they take paypal & don't mind dealing with small orders...

So just get some (PS I have no affiliation with Cinemag heh )

Justin
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Awesome!

Thanks Justin.

That info is pure gold
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I guess in true rock and roll fashion, I'm inclined to go w/ the %100 steel one.

I am intrigued by the half and half though.
Old 19th July 2005
member no 666

There are a ton of mods that can be done to those desks... however... mine is stock.

Best of luck with it
Old 20th July 2005
Here for the gear

I'd tend to agree with you - go with the Steel, definitely more rock
Old 20th July 2005
Here for the gear

Just an additional thought,

An example of who's using the steel cores are Seventh Circle - their API kit uses the CMOQ2-S...

Justin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search