The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon Prime Time 93 repair help/parts
Old 18th March 2009
Here for the gear

I recently bought a Lexicon Prime Time 93 from the U.S.

It apparently left in good condition but arrived with the delay circuit board rattling around inside.

The unit's been repaired so that all the shorts are fixed and audio passes through the unit but the tech can't get the repair section to work. A delay unit with no delay. not so great.

Does anyone know where we might find some chips/parts to fix the busted delay circuit?

Lexicon doesn't want to know (it was the 70s) and to make matters worse the store that sent the unit wrote and gave their word they would cover the cost of the repairs but are now refusing to do so.

any help would be really appreciated.
Old 28th May 2011
Here for the gear

Help with Lexicon Prime Time (Model 93)?

I've got a Prime Time with a glitch in the delay outs. It's somehow associated with the VCO, because it's frequency varies with the VCO control.

I've heard that it may be coming from a couple of memory chips.. but which ones?

Does anyone have experience with repairing this particular problem?

Thanks for the help!

Edward
[email protected]
Old 30th May 2011
Lives for gear
There is a few posts at prodigy pro with links to primtime 93 service manuals etc.
I got mine broken and fixed it.. Frigging cool delay, very musical.. Almost an instrument in itself.

I'd also just reseat all the memory ic's first up. Those ic connectors are getting old.

Mike
Old 30th May 2011
Here for the gear

Help with Lexicon Prime Time (Model 93)?

Thanks Mike!

I agree with the "frigging cool delay"! I used this unit in my VoiceOver studio for many years.. but haven't had much use of it recently.

I'll check out prodigy pro right away.

I've got the full service manual in hand.. so I'll reset the ic's first, thanks for that suggestion.https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image.../winknudge.gif

This issue is apparently a common one for owners of the Prime Time.. and I guess I'm hoping someone will have had the same issue and found the definitive fix for it.

Edward
VoiceOvers • Commercials • Narrations • Script Writing • E-Learning • Corporate Training • Industrial Sales Support

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...ies/nu/061.gif

Last edited by Voiceman615; 30th May 2011 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Adding topic line
Old 1st October 2012
Here for the gear

Primetime 93 Repair needed

Did you ever get your Primetime working?

Just picked up one that has no delay line output. Input and Aux only.

Spoke to the guys at Beamish. They said somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-400 bucks to repair.

Dane Beamish
Beamish Electronics
4560 State Road
Cleveland OH 44109
(216) 351-9599
Old 9th June 2013
Here for the gear

I'm still looking for a repair facility for my Lexicon 93 Prime Time.

I've got a glitch in the delay outs. It's somehow associated with the VCO, because the frequency of the glitch varies with the VCO control.

I've heard that it may be coming from a couple of memory chips.. but which ones?

Does anyone have experience with repairing this particular problem?

Thanks for the help!

Edward
[email protected]
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

If you are getting a periodic audio glitch it indicates a memory problem, quite common with the older dram chips. You need to source some memory chips and replace them one at a time. Lexicons of this period also had socket issues, Lexicon used cheap sockets which fail with time. First,try removing and replacing all your memory chips one at a time. This wipes the contacts of the socket and the chip, and may fix your problem. As a longterm fix, replace with turned pin sockets, but this is a job for a good solder sucker and lots of care.
Old 11th June 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks much RD for the info on the sockets.

I have heard that a chip may be loose/oxidized etc in the memory cascade.. and so I guess it's time to get out my ic puller!

It's well worth the effort.

I'll let y'all know how things turn out.

Edward
Old 11th June 2013
Here for the gear

replace with turned pin sockets, but this is a job for a good solder sucker and lots of care.
Old 11th June 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, and DO take anti-static precautions! I have anti-static mats on all of my work benches and carry a small one in my fly-in kit, and a larger one when I'm driving to jobs.
Best,
Ike

Last edited by Ike Zimbel; 11th June 2013 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: mor spulling problims...
Old 11th June 2013
Here for the gear

You guys are pretty insistent about the turned pins sockets, eh?

You must think I'm a better solderer than I think I am!

Ok, well, If you all think it's that important, I guess I've got a bigger job ahead than I was expecting.

Thanks for the insight and professional perspectives.

Much appreciated!

Edward
Old 30th April 2015
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceman615 View Post
You guys are pretty insistent about the turned pins sockets, eh?

You must think I'm a better solderer than I think I am!

Ok, well, If you all think it's that important, I guess I've got a bigger job ahead than I was expecting.

Thanks for the insight and professional perspectives.

Much appreciated!

Edward
to haul up a dead horse does anyone know a good repair tech in the uk who works on these ?
Old 30th April 2015
Lives for gear

Theres a guy in the UK, benden sound I think, he does 224's so might look at a Prime time.

Ike, are you flying to your gigs on those antistatic mats? Thats a use I hadnt thought of!
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
Ike, are you flying to your gigs on those antistatic mats? That's a use I hadn't thought of!
Absolutely!
iz
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Nut
Just got my 93 back from Beamish Electronics in Ohio yesterday. Highly recommended for old Lexicon repairs. Very quick and thorough!
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear
Repaired these 3 two weeks ago,

They are upside down because I'm in the Southern Hemisphere
Attached Thumbnails
Lexicon Prime Time 93 repair help/parts-image.jpg  
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Any contact info for Beamish? Tried number above but no answer or answering machine
Old 28th November 2019
Here for the gear

One reason the delays can stop working is the ram board not being powered correctly.
There is a 12V regulator that sits on the ram board powered by the +15v. If the +15v smoothing caps dry out this can induce ripple on the power line and make the 12v regulator have a hard time.

Old 12th December 2019
Here for the gear

I have just made the second episode where I discover what is causing the distortion on the delay outputs. It wasn't the ram at all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search