The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ok tech-heads, try this one on for size...
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ok tech-heads, try this one on for size...

Let's hypothetically say that a guy, we'll call him "Larry", had a digital modeling amp which was amazingly versital, but fell a little short on what he knows a nice tube amp should sound like. Let's also say that "Larry" doesn't want to lug an expensive head and a rack full of gear to each show and just want's to maximize the potential of his digital modeling amp...we'll call it a Lane6 just for fun.
Now, here's where Larry needs the advice of those in the know. He wants to buy or build something along the lines of a tube preamp that could handle the speaker outs of the amplifier. My theory is...I mean Larry's theory is to find a way to get some actual tube saturation between the amp and the speakers.
Of course he knows he could just mic up the amp and run the mic to a tube pre, but he wants to hear the sound from his cab too.
...so, is there something out there like say an Avalon U5 that can handle speaker outputs, but that has beautiful glowing doodads in it too?

thanks,
Larry's close friend heh
Old 11th July 2005

I think Larry would be better off with a Lame6 rack mount pre-amp and a real, tube amplifier. He could turn off the speaker emulator and get a nice 2x10 cabinet.

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search