The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Connect AES3 to SPDIF (Roland SRV-3030D)
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac
Connect AES3 to SPDIF (Roland SRV-3030D)

Hi.
I have a Roland SRV-3030D that has RCA type SPDIF connections for in and out. I also have a MOTU 1224 with AES/EBU XLR In/Out.

I would like to connect the two digitally using these connections.

The Roland manual states that the 3030D can accept AES/EBU connections (does that mean without modification). It also says that (paraphrasing) "Some digital audio devices using AES/EBU make use of XLR connectors (as the Motu does). Connections to such devices require use of a third party adapter." Additionally I saw that is says the digital input and output are 75 Ohms unballanced with Electrical Characteristics RS-422A.

Now, I am confused. Does this mean I can make a straight connection as long as the connector types match the device on each end, or does this mean I need some sort of adapter for impedence matching? I would try a direct connection but I don't currently have any compatible cables.

I found this document (http://www.rane.com/note149.html), but I am not an electrical engineer and I am not sure if I need to do this kind of thing. At the bottom there is a figure illustrating AES3 to SPDIF and visa versa.

So, Does the Roland really accept a direct AES/EBU signal, unmodified, or am I misunderstanding. What do I need to do to connect these two units digitally?

Thanks for the assistance.
Clay

Last edited by lahatte; 8th July 2005 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Bad URL

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search