The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
spring reverb DIY kit
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

spring reverb DIY kit

hey geeks!!! i just assembled my first DIY project (a fuzzbox that sounds like hot trash on garbage) and im interested in any sort of DIY kit where I can make a spring reverb box for my studio.

i do NOT want to use it as an FX loop on a guitar amp.

I DO want to use it for sends and returns in my console.

any suggestions? thanks

Old 7th July 2005

See if you can get your hands on some Fender Schematics and an old amp with a reverb pan. There were several solid state units made in the 70's and 80's with spring reverbs: Those schematics will tell you how to drive and receive from the unit. The reverb pan didn't change from all the way back to Dick Dale in the 60's, so any used one should do.

-tINY

Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

I know *nothing* specific about this kit...just that it exists:

http://www.paia.com/hotsprgs.htm

Bri
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

this is exactly what im looking for brian. i dont know why i didnt check out paia first. ill let you know how it sounds once i save up and build it.

thumbsup
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

John Simonton, owner of Paia, is a LONG time friend of mine, dating back to when I was in High Skrewl.... when the earth's crust was still cooling.

John even sold a kit of a contraption I dreamed up called the "ping pong"...an autopanner for guitars, etc.

I worked for him for awhile back in maybe 1973 when the original synth kits were selling like hotcakes. I have to assume the "hot springs" is likely to be "better than just OK" since his entire product line has moved upscale from the days of his simpler kits.

Bri
Old 22nd April 2009
Gear Addict

PIAA DIY Spring Reverb Kit - How hard is this to build?

PAIA DIY Spring Reverb Tank Kit
PAiA - 6740K Hot Springs Reverb Kit, Studio Series, 6740K

This Spring Reverb looks pretty cool actualy. - Has anyone constructed it? Is it difficult to build for a beginner?

Being a total novice - I'm not sure if this is a project i want to get started on..

and its $100 US - how does that compare with buying a pre-built working Spring Reverb FX box?

Is anyone making Spring Reverbs these days or do you have to buy vintage 70s / 80s stuff?
Old 19th November 2013
Here for the gear

Cool cool, thank you to all! This helped clarify some stuff.
I've seen the Hot Springs design around and that looks really cool.

We'll see what happens, when/if I get it done I'll post a follow up. (and some samples!)

cpt. chameleon
Old 19th November 2014
Just a curious post to find out if you pulled the trigger on the hot springs?

I've been using a couple of old amp springs for a while now and they sound amazing but quite noisy (get around it with RX3 denoiser).

It's not DIY but I have been lusting after the cool springs unit too but right now I'm happy with my old headphone amp driving a reverb tank into a di box (lifted) then into a pre.

It's complex and I want to cut it down so I'm keen to hear your feedback on the hot springs.
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

brianroth, I'd love to hear more about your ping-pong autopanner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth View Post
John Simonton, owner of Paia, is a LONG time friend of mine, dating back to when I was in High Skrewl.... when the earth's crust was still cooling.

John even sold a kit of a contraption I dreamed up called the "ping pong"...an autopanner for guitars, etc.

I worked for him for awhile back in maybe 1973 when the original synth kits were selling like hotcakes. I have to assume the "hot springs" is likely to be "better than just OK" since his entire product line has moved upscale from the days of his simpler kits.

Bri
Old 16th February 2018
I just tried to build a Paia Hot Springs and failed.

Soldering went mostly fine, rewiring the springs was no problem but the springs aren't outputting anything and the dry signal bleeds like crazy.

The springs themselves are fine, however, so until I figure out what I've done wrong I've hooked one up straight to my mixing desk and it sounds fine.
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger shell View Post
brianroth, I'd love to hear more about your ping-pong autopanner.
I just caught this message, hence the slow reply.

Here's a scan of the front page of the assembly booklet. I have the entire manual somewhere in a box <g>.

Bri
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ping-pong.pdf (681.1 KB, 48 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search