The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
oops
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Maniac

oops

ok about a month ago, i fried a borrowed FMR RNC stereo compressor, by sending the wrong power supply (the preamp!) to it and it went POP, followed by a plume of smoke out of the vents and the knobs!!!! we did like any other middle-tennesseean and immeadetly unplugged it and put it in the freezer. no bull

after a cigarette and some calming down we opened it up and saw NO trace of anything 'blowing up'...no burn marks, no stains of anykind nothin'....so we proceeded to hook it up and try it out, everything seemed to be working, and we went on to record some of the best vocals to date with it...

well i figured i'd just buy it off the guy (he's got another one) instead of replacing his with a new one, and we agreed on a hundred bucks!

so now i've got me a compressor (well it's still at the studio) that i think works! lol

anyone know how to tell? like visually?
i'm gonna do some tests as soon as i bring it home.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

I once did a really stupid thing: I fried every Mac keyboard in the house (four in all) because one after the other wouldn't work. The real problem was that I had the USB hub plugged into the wrong power supply. In addition to learning to stick to logical troubleshooting techniques, I learned to color code all devices with their power supplies because it's otherwise NOT a foolproof thing.

Hope it works, though!
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you saw the release of the "magic smoke", SOMETHING had to create that. Check both sides of the circuit board, etc etc...

Bri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search