The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro VLA VU Meter Lamp
Old 17th February 2009
  #1
Gear Head
 

Question Pro VLA VU Meter Lamp

Has anyone ever replaced a VU meter lamp in an ART PRO VLA compressor?
I'd like to know if it is easily replaced, how to do it, and where to buy the lamp.
Thanks
Lou
LMAudio
Old 18th February 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMaudio View Post
Has anyone ever replaced a VU meter lamp in an ART PRO VLA compressor?
I'd like to know if it is easily replaced, how to do it, and where to buy the lamp.
Thanks
Lou
LMAudio
SOT.. I have the same style VU meter in my DDA meterbridge.. I think there's some soldering involved.. I ask myself ..Why..?......for a bulb..Trying to get mine replaced also.. Good luck...
Old 21st February 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
call art, thay will probably send you some free bulbs. theres no soldering involved, just pop the top and unscrew the back of the VU meter. Arthur
Old 21st February 2009
  #4
Pat
Gear Addict
 
Pat's Avatar
 

I opened my VLA II and it looks not so easy to replace the lamp.
Old 21st February 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
oops, I was thinking the original. sorry Arthur
Old 23rd February 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude24man View Post
oops, I was thinking the original. sorry Arthur
I think the original has to be soldered also....
Old 24th February 2009
  #7
Gear Addict
I have an original ProVLA from 1996 or 97. The lamp is replaced quite simply by removing the top (6 or so screws), pulling off the two red leads from the lamp back (simple spade type connectors), then unscrewing the lamp base from the meter (2 small phillips screws above and below the lamp base).

After that, the base is free and the lamp just pops out of its fuse holder style clips. Screw the lamp base back to the meter, attach the two red leads back to the spade terminals, and close up the box. You're done.

Last year when I went through my ProVLA I converted it to LED back-lighting. That required the addition of a 12VDC supply which I also used to fire up the heaters on the tubes.

I can't remember where I got the LED back-light from. I remember it cost more than I wanted to spend. But it was a ready made bolt-on replacement.
Old 14th March 2009
  #8
Gear Head
 

Found Supplier

Thanks for the replies.

I found a supplier in the U.K.
It turned out to be very easy to replace.

They have a minimum so I got 12. With shipping the cost came to $25 USD.
PM me if you need only one. (not sure yet how I'd wrap it for safe mailing, so no guarantee).

Audio Maintenance Limited Miniature Lamps

LMaudio
Old 24th January 2012
  #9
Here for the gear
 
Studio192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by effitall View Post
I have an original ProVLA from 1996 or 97. The lamp is replaced quite simply by removing the top (6 or so screws), pulling off the two red leads from the lamp back (simple spade type connectors), then unscrewing the lamp base from the meter (2 small phillips screws above and below the lamp base).

After that, the base is free and the lamp just pops out of its fuse holder style clips. Screw the lamp base back to the meter, attach the two red leads back to the spade terminals, and close up the box. You're done.
Well said! That's pretty much it, went smooth for me! Here are some pics for reference:





After reading a few different posts about ART replacement lamps, I was able to contact ART and they sent me out 3 replacement lamps at no charge. Great customer service!

Old 13th August 2012
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Another Happy Meter

Oh, Yoo-Hoo,

Studio 192. Thanks for putting up the photos. ART sent me a replacement bulb in '98 (really), and shortly thereafter, I got a digital console and the Pro VLA was rarely used. Between that and the fact I wasn't very intrepid in those days, that meter stayed dark. Recently acquired a new analog console and ditched the nasty desk, and as much as I'm reminded what a peach this Pro VLA is, decided it's time for both meters to be lit. Your fine explanation and handy dandy photos made it a breeze.

Much Obliged
Old 13th August 2012
  #11
Incandescents are being phased out. They are technically illegal in the USA now, but are legally sold until December 31st, 2012.

Besides that high cost, you will need to replace them over and over, a PITA.

The green solution are LED's. If you want to retain the incandescent bulb look, there are special soft white incandescent colored high output LED's.

Super Bright LEDs - Error Page

Sand them to difuse the light, add a 1k or 470 ohm resistor in series and you're done, forever.
Old 9th October 2012
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Sorry I'm late...

Jim, What is the resistor for? Where does it go? Just on one leg of the LED?
Old 25th November 2012
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakestheclown View Post
Sorry I'm late...

Jim, What is the resistor for? Where does it go? Just on one leg of the LED?
I'm assuming that the resistor is to dim down the light and should be on one side only.

Check this out....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...oon/1265/2938/
Old 5th September 2013
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagala View Post
I'm assuming that the resistor is to dim down the light and should be on one side only.

Check this out....

6451 LED CAN Bus Bulb - 1 LED Festoon | Festoon Base Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs
Blast from the past!!

Do the above mentioned LEDs actually work as a drop in replacement? Did you try it?
Old 3rd December 2013
  #15
Gear Head
 

I don'y have any VLA meter bulbs left.

All gone. Sorry!
They are still listed for sale on the Audio Maintenance web page. See the link in my original posting below.
- Lou
LMaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMaudio View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I found a supplier in the U.K.
It turned out to be very easy to replace.

They have a minimum so I got 12. With shipping the cost came to $25 USD.
PM me if you need only one. (not sure yet how I'd wrap it for safe mailing, so no guarantee).

Audio Maintenance Limited Miniature Lamps

LMaudio
Old 9th December 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Anyone know of a supplier in the US?
Ive contacted ART and they never respond...
Old 25th April 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagala View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakestheclown View Post
Sorry I'm late...

Jim, What is the resistor for? Where does it go? Just on one leg of the LED?
I'm assuming that the resistor is to dim down the light and should be on one side only.

Check this out....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...oon/1265/2938/
FYI that is NOT the correct size lamp.
Old 9th May 2017
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruInSpace View Post
FYI that is NOT the correct size lamp.
Yeah, but they worked for me. A little bright, and a little large, but they work.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump