The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
anyone built an la-2a?
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Guru

anyone built an la-2a?

i've got the plans and am ordering the parts. two things i'd like to know:

1 - i'm really good at soldering but have never built anything like this. how difficult is this for a first project, and are there any heads-up you'd give? what's a realistic time frame?

2 - any ideas on where to get a suitable chassis? does it have to be laid out like the original, knob-meter-knob?

thanks!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 4th July 2005
Here for the gear

thanks for creating this post because I am about to buy the instructional booklet to do the same thing and am very interested to know the details you asked.
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hi,

If you post a query over at the Prodigy forums you'll find numerous members who've built La2as. They even have residents who can build the T4B modules. One member has posted a high-res chart that you can blow-up, to show you all the P-P wiring routings. Prodigy even had a "rogue" member selling clones on Ebay constructed via the layout charts! I've seen several clones from the group that were indistinguishable from the real-deal to the untrained eye.

Try a search at the Prodigy forum, you'll find many threads, with some talking about mods etc etc.

Regarding the chassis - I once saw an La2a built into a toolbox! La2as aren't too fussy about the chassis, although I guess access for maintenance is an issue.

The biggest cost will be the transformers, and the T4B.

Regards,
Justin
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkybuffalo
thanks for creating this post because I am about to buy the instructional booklet to do the same thing and am very interested to know the details you asked.
Make sure to ask the Prodigy members before you buy the booklet! You may find better, free advice to be had on the Internet.

J
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

Here's a kit.....you still need to source the tubes, tranny's and basic parts but the enclosure, meter and T4B is done....nothing worse than sourcing the hard to find parts

I'm very tempted

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175

Andy
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

As a builder of several LA2A's, I can say that that kit is beyond top notch!

Regards

ju
Old 5th July 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks for the Prodigy Pro link.

There's a whole new world in front of me now. Just got remember how solder and a few more things heh

But seriously, thanks. Looks very cool.
Old 23rd December 2009
Here for the gear

i have built one LA2A in point to point with sowter transformer, nos parts and T4 UA, it 's sound very very great
i take the schematics from recproaudio
and i think built a second this year
Ben (france)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search