The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Babyface Mod For Avalon 737?
Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Babyface Mod For Avalon 737?

Has anyone heard of the Babyface Mod for the Avalon 737sp? The modification supposedly makes the attack on the 737 much faster. Has anyone modified theirs, and if so, what were the results? There's a guy here in NYC that will do for $70. Should I give it a shot or is it just a waiste of time?

Check it out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 4th July 2005
Lives for gear

just run a low value/ high wattage resistor from your publishing to ground heh

Andy
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I think i'm gonna let the tech do it. I'll get it back in day he said. Hey, it's just $70 bucks right! thumbsup
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Addict

Any chance this same mod will work with the VT-747sp comp also?
Old 4th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineEars
Any chance this same mod will work with the VT-747sp comp also?
Not sure, but the guy who does it, his name is Steve. He's an authorized Avalon dealer and tech. I personally only know about the 737's
Here's a link to contact him for further info:
http://www.nightskysound.com/contactus.htm
Old 22nd January 2008
Here for the gear

BabyFace mod

if you send the unit to Avalon Design, it's a charge of $80. Better let them deal with it since it runs for same price approx. They might re-callibrate your unit also - always a good thing heh

P.S. Avalon does not have an authorized repair man or shop anywhere in the world except for Europe distributor! I called them on this same issue and is what they told me.
Old 3rd February 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPA FROST View Post
Has anyone heard of the Babyface Mod for the Avalon 737sp? The modification supposedly makes the attack on the 737 much faster. Has anyone modified theirs, and if so, what were the results? There's a guy here in NYC that will do for $70. Should I give it a shot or is it just a waiste of time?

Check it out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Hey, i have been doing this mod for decades.. (in fact I am sure it began in Oz with the old purple knobs 737's). well thats what it seems. it s no big deal, just change one component on ther top compressor board, takes less than a minute.. we do em here, but supply a new board, so you can swap them out, personally i prefer the original times, as it affects the release as well, i am sure.

contact me for the details...
Old 11th April 2008
Lives for gear
Hi Mixster,
I was going to get you guys to do mine, but I already had the component (all 50cents worth), so thought I'd have a go... found pictorial instructions on the net.. I really like it, definitely faster! It seems to have made the 737 a lot more useful for me.
Is Mr Taylor still working up there? Love to come for a visit sometime soon.

Best Regards,
Matt McKenzie-Smith
Old 31st May 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Hi Mixster,
I was going to get you guys to do mine, but I already had the component (all 50cents worth), so thought I'd have a go... found pictorial instructions on the net.. I really like it, definitely faster! It seems to have made the 737 a lot more useful for me.
Is Mr Taylor still working up there? Love to come for a visit sometime soon.

Best Regards,
Matt McKenzie-Smith
dude...can u give us the adrees in the internet with the pictorials???
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear
Here ya go... Not sure if this is what I referred to, but the concepts the same.

Avalon Vt 737sp Babyface (Fast Attack) Mod
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here ya go... Not sure if this is what I referred to, but the concepts the same.

Avalon Vt 737sp Babyface (Fast Attack) Mod
Hi

What I know about Avalon gear you could write on a postage stamp in foot high letters (as in zilch) but something smells wrong with this mod.

If you reduce the value of the capacitor, you will not only speed up the attack time by halving it... you will also speed up the recovery by the same factor.

I would have thought that changing the series resistor to the 2uF capacitor would have speeded-up the attack without affecting the recovery... but that's just an observation... I don't have the diagram to confirm this.

Attached Thumbnails
Babyface Mod For Avalon 737?-attackandrelease.jpg  
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear
This is the trade off with the mod and why not everyone foes it. I personally like the faster release time.
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is the trade off with the mod and why not everyone foes it. I personally like the faster release time.
Hi

It's only that the 2c resistor could set the faster attack without other side effects.

I don't know what voltages the capacitor will see in the side chain, maybe 10 or 20, but there's nothing to be gained by fitting a 100 volt polarised capacitor into a much lower voltage environment.

I'd also suggest using a low leakage tantalum for the timing cap... it's what Neve did on the 2254, 32264, 33609, etc.

Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear
Mm, maybe you could try it... I don't know a lot about all that stuff, so I just did what the Avalon folks do anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search