The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So what would you guys do to a Soundcraft Series 1600?
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

So what would you guys do to a Soundcraft Series 1600?

So what would you guys do to a Soundcraft Series 1600 24 channel.

As far as recapping goes & improving the signal path as much as possible?
(also together with stability and longevity, so that it's good for the next xx years, with regular maintenance and TLC of course.)
It's in need of the copper grounding bar as crosstalk on channels and faders still emmiting slight sound is there.
But any choice of caps, Ic's, or tweaks?

Also the PSU died twice on me, so yes..
the thing is in need of a total refurbish.
And I think i like it enough to do that and a bit more.
It's a pretty simple design and I think it's not a bad sounding desk.
It's very direct, I had a DDA DCM and that coated everything with a quite a musical to much crap in the signal path.

I'm not doing the work myself, but i'd like some idea's to go over with the technician.
Although I'd like to become one myself as after some years of owning a studio i'm thinking one must be crazy if you can't fix the things yourself.
Trying to find a schoolprogram but the problem is I don't know where to fit it. i'm in the kitchen 38 hours a week, and that's service coupé on those days you don't do anything else... and then i'm 3 days in the studio non stop, playing, recording, practicing.
Old 15th January 2009
Lives for gear

I would start with the master channel.

The opamps in it are saddled and you could try out some different opamps though over-all the design as it is is not flawed.

Replace the caps, clean all the faders and knobs...start simple.

If I'm not mistaken the individual channels are surface mount, while the main channel is saddled, and I think theres some TL07 and NE 5532's in there...google those opamps...something like 20+ caps on the master...most in the same spec so it might take you a day max to swap out the caps...

The power supply is a different beast, stay away unless you know what your doing...if I recall this board runs something like 17 volts...have the tech recap/re-transistor it...
Old 15th January 2009
Lives for gear

Yes PSU i'm not touching.
Master and Aux channel have been done :D forgot to mention that.
They just have been cleaned and recapped I think panasonics not sure.. so i'm looking at the channelstrips and groups. yes and there something weird with the lights 4 VU's went out, and number 16 is dimmer than the others.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search