The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
powerbook processor noise coming through vintech
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Head

powerbook processor noise coming through vintech

I sent this query to Vintech by email a couple times but so far have had no response, so I thought I'd try it here....

About 2 months ago I purchased the Vintech X73i which I like a lot. Recently I've been using it as a mixing EQ -- from the 1/4" balanced out of my audio interface (using balanced cable) into the XLR Line IN of the X73i, then back into the audio interface.

When using it this way however, I get a strange kind of interference -- here is a sample of it

http://www.perlstrax.com/transfer_vintech/noise.aif

I've found out a few things about this interference

1) it happens only with the vintech -- when I, for example, do the same thing with my Manley voxbox EQ, with the exact same setup -- line out to the manley and line in back to the audio interface, I don't get this kind of noise

2) it seems to be related to my powerbook. when I move windows around or access the hard disk, I can actually hear this action through the vintech (!) -- so somehow the processor noise is being transferred to the vintech. When I unplug the powerbook from it's power supply, and run off the battery, the noise level from the vintech decreases somewhat, but there still some.

So I am assuming it is some kind of grounding problem vis-a-vis the powerbook, the audio interface (the audio interface is a Metric Halo ULN2, run by firewire from the powerbook, without an external power supply) and the vintech. What is stumping me is why only the Vintech would exhibit this problem, and not other line-level FX such as the manley.

thanks for any ideas you might have and things I should try to fix this....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search