The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need someone to build me this little box...
Old 15th June 2005
Here for the gear

Need someone to build me this little box...

Hello...I am looking for someone, preferably in the SF Bay area, to take on a small electronics project. This would be well paid. I need a handheld unit with 2 momentary buttons. One would trigger a highly transient sound with a short decay, the other would trigger a sustained tone. The sounds would be internally generated. It would have a lead terminating in a 1/4" male end. It would be great if the output level would be hot enough to go straight into ProTools, but it is no problem if it needs to be lower. I need this to be done quickly, and well.

If anyone is interested, please reply to this thread, or email me
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchboy
Hello...I am looking for someone, preferably in the SF Bay area, to take on a small electronics project. This would be well paid. I need a handheld unit with 2 momentary buttons. One would trigger a highly transient sound with a short decay, the other would trigger a sustained tone. The sounds would be internally generated. It would have a lead terminating in a 1/4" male end. It would be great if the output level would be hot enough to go straight into ProTools, but it is no problem if it needs to be lower. I need this to be done quickly, and well.

If anyone is interested, please reply to this thread, or email me
>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't know what the purpose is, but you need a signal generator, followed by a simple normally- open PB switch. Real easy to stick in a box with a 1/4" jack at the input, and a 1/4" jack at the output. As for the generator, look at this:

http://www.shure.com/accessories/a15tg.asp

Good luck, Paul
Old 16th June 2005
Here for the gear

I understand what you are suggesting, but it is a bit more specific. The tones generated are to be used as a visual reference in the waveforms of a track in PT. We need to mark takes on the fly, and the distinct visual difference between a transient and sustained waveform would be our indicator of good or bad, as associated with a concurrently recorded track. Also, it will be in the hands of a person for whom it must be a no-brainer to operate. All of the signal generators that I have seen require switching from pulse to sine wave (or pink noise, or whatever) before triggering the tone. I need something that has separate buttons for each tone. Furthermore, I need something that has only these 2 buttons; more will just confuse the user.

But thanks for your input...
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Maybe you could get a cheap drum machine (whatever is the current analog to the old Synsonics or something) and use a snare hit to denote "good" and a crash cymbal to denote "not good". If you clearly color coded the buttons, this might be an easy solution. I realize that it's not a TOTAL no-brainer, but perhaps you can also de-assign the unused buttons. I mean, the person you're going to have pushing the buttons will probably be just a little bit 'trainable'.

The visual difference between the two sounds in the PT edit window should be easy to discern.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Paia sells a PC board with various analog drum signal generators:

http://www.paia.com/syndrum.htm

Might be useful for the underlying sounds.

Bri
Old 21st June 2005
Lou Judson
V/O studio where I used to work had a 60 Hz tone in the talkback button - whenever you talked to the studio it put this low tone on. For the trasient you just bump the button, for long tone you held it down for a few seconds. It was a low frequency so it could be heard when fast forwarding the tape to edit takes.

You could do it with a simple cheap tone generator into a mic channel, just hit the on button...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search