The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
add balanced inputs to power amp bryston or adcom Monitor Controllers
Old 19th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
That's not a problem with the Adcom 555. Just ground the low side (ring or pin 3) if the driver circuit is transformer coupled or electronically cross coupled outputs. If they are inverter balanced outputs, float pin 3 or the ring. The Adcom's use a 2 wire AC cable so grounding loops are avoided. I've installed Adcoms in many rooms with many consoles and monitor output circuit designs. There is always an easy way to integrate the two.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Thanks a TON Jim! I've got a GFA555 that I have been getting a bunch of noise through when connected to my Central Station. Took your advice and built a TRS-RCA cable with the ring floated - BAM - problem solved. It's great having guys like you around here!
Old 19th January 2012
We aim to please. BTW, there was a guy in Nashville with the same problems, I told him the variables and said he would need to address this at his end. He got all uppity about it and said my attitude was disrespectful. He then declined to have his amp modified saying he had found others and so on.

I guess I didn't hold his hand tightly enough...
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Years ago I had contract work with a small low end studio. They had hum in their monitors and asked me to fix it. So when I looked into it they were driving the balanced console monitor bus across the control room into a Yamaha power amp. The console ref. level was +4 dBu and the amp wanted -10 and the amp was unbalanced.

So I put together a pair of Hammond 804s with 14 dB pads on the outputs and connected everything. The engineer ran up the monitor fader to the top and couldn't hear anything! He thought I made a mistake and rolled tape. It almost sliced his ears off!

When I came back the next week they gave me back my transformer rig. They could not get use to monitors that accurately presented the full dynamic range of their electronics. They needed to hear the noise hissing clearly at the bottom to believe things were working. Funny thing was you could clearly hear the tape noise floor on blank tape but dead quiet electronics was clearly unnatural. :-)

Not exactly on topic but this thread reminded me of this incident.

BF
Old 16th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Either you float or ground pin 3. Either you ground or float pin 1. Rane has some nice interfacing notes on their website for y'all to read through. Time to get some educatin'.
Sound System Interconnection

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search