The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MCI JH-110A locator and erase issues Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

MCI JH-110A locator and erase issues

I'm having a couple issues with my MCI JH-110A 8-track that I can't seem to sort out. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

1. The locator counter seems to only function properly half the time. Some times when tape is rolling it will just stop counting. It seems to randomly work. It makes trying to locate a total pain. Sometimes if I turn the machine on/off it comes back to life. Other times it remains “stuck”. What might cause this? What’s the best way to troubleshoot this issue?

2. Channel 2 doesn’t seem to completely erase what was previously recorded as new material is being recorded onto the track. The previous signal can be audibly heard underneath the new signal as I’m monitoring in repro. The odd thing is that I was having this problem on channel 1, but it migrated to channel 2 when I moved channel 1’s record card to channel 2. What on the record card might cause this? The AC voltage levels on the large variable capacitor (whichever one relates to erasure) on the motherboard seems to be in family with the rest of the deck. Any ideas?

thanks,
Brad
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear
If I remember correctly, there are 1 or 2 boards attached to the board with the display counter. All of these are sandwiched together with the dreaded molex connectors. You will probably need to pull them apart, clean all the connectors and the long mating pins as well. Spray them with a cleaner like Caig Pro Gold and hope for the best. The best thing is to actually replace the connectors, especially the round mating pins with the newer square design that makes better contact. Hopefully that gets you in the right direction.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot. My gut tells me that due to the intermittent operation it's likely a bad connection and not a failed part as you are suggesting.

Anyone have any ideas about the erase problem? That one is pissing me off more.

thanks,
Brad
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search