The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
peluso 2247LE issues... Analog Processors (HW)
Old 31st August 2008
Gear Maniac

peluso 2247LE issues...

my 2274 is acting up recently. i bought it about a year ago, used it on loads of songs, and then a few weeks ago, there was this weird hiss that went away after a while. i used it again on a few sessions, but eventually the hiss came back, and now i get crazy pops and rumble that comes and goes (the hiss never goes away anymore)

i tried the cable & power supply from my p12, took the tube (tele) out and brushed the contacts with deoxit gold, and looked for bad solder joints...no luck.

i uploaded a short soundfile of the mic, going into a gtq2 and then straight into logic.
here's the link: http://www.brewerystudios.com/2247LE.aif.zip

does anybody have an idea what this could be? would be great if i won't have to ship it to the states for service..

this is definitely my unlucky month for gear, had a nightmare with a local tech who dropped the master modules of my board, and i got ripped of buying a broken 2290 on gearslutz (post coming up in a few minutes....)
Old 2nd September 2008
Gear Maniac

I just had a reply from Peluso. They think it's the tube and will send me a new one.
Old 2nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Can you measure the filament/heater voltage the tube is getting? Best place is at the tube socket pins. If this is too low it might shorten the lifetime of your tube considerably.

Martin
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply Martin!
Finally had a minute to measure the voltage..looking onto the socket with the 5 pins on top I get: 1.42V on pin1; 6.5V on pin4; and 1.42V on the first pin in the bottom row. Does that sound about right?
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kuto View Post
6.5V on pin4
And this is with the tube in place, yes? If the middle pin of the five says 0V (ground) then your measurement actually shows a slight overvoltage, should be 6.3V according to specs. To make sure you can put the meter directly between "pin 4" and the middle pin (of the row of five).

Please be aware that there might be lethal high voltages for the anode in the mike!

Martin
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Maniac

Sorry, this was without the tube, I thought I should measure what's coming from the power supply..with the tube in I get 6.37V on pin4.
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kuto View Post
Sorry, this was without the tube, I thought I should measure what's coming from the power supply..with the tube in I get 6.37V on pin4.
OK, sounds good to me. The tube loads the power supply so the voltage drops a bit. Your sound clip does sound like you need a better tube, so let's hope it works out. There might be other noise sources elsewhere in the circuit, but I'm not familiar with Pelusos specifically.

Martin
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Maniac

Thank you so much for your help Martin! I will report back when I have the new tube.

Erik
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Maniac

Hi,
my 2247 does the crackle/hiss thing occasionally, the problem in my case is just down to humidity...... sweaty singer in small vocal booth on hot day = crackling after an hour or so.
I find 10 mins break with the doors open results in it behaving again. Your problem might be something completely different tho, just thought I'd share in case it helps.....
Old 3rd September 2008
Gear Maniac

My rooms are quite big & not too humid (I am under ground though) I think/hope that moisture is not an issue, but will keep it in mind if the new tube doesn't do the trick. Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Yep, that's a bad capsule which is another one of those possible noise sources...

Martin

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search