The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lexicon PCM 80 PCM 90 Repairs
Old 28th August 2008
Gear Head

Post Lexicon PCM 80 PCM 90 Repairs

I have located a small number of NOS a/d converters for the Lexicon PCM 80 PCM 90 series of digital reverbs that I am using for repairs. I am not selling parts. If your Lexicon box no longer shows any input level after boot up, this is likely the problem.

I also work on most other outboard gear, consoles, tape decks, DAR and monitor systems.

Thanks for looking!
Old 29th August 2008
and now my PCM 90 works thanks Tom
Old 9th March 2009
Here for the gear

Lexicon PCM 70

Hi Tom, would you happen to have a display for a PCM 70 - if not do you know where I could get one. The UK distributor simply says it is too old and they do not have any spares but I am loathe to throw it away.

I hope you can help.

Regards Don Larking
TL Commerce Ltd
Larking's List
Old 9th March 2009
Gear Head

GT Glory Comp

Greetings, Tom

By any chance are you familiar with the inner workings of the Groove Tubes Glory Comp? You state you work on most other outboard gear.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Old 10th March 2009
Gear Head

PCM 70 Display

Dear Don,

I don't have the display. Are you sure it is not the power supply? Let me know and I will see if I can get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc-uk View Post
Hi Tom, would you happen to have a display for a PCM 70 - if not do you know where I could get one. The UK distributor simply says it is too old and they do not have any spares but I am loathe to throw it away.

I hope you can help.

Regards Don Larking
TL Commerce Ltd
Larking's List
Old 10th March 2009
Gear Head

Groove Tubes Glory Comp

I can't say that I am familiar with this particular unit, not that it, in itself, presents a problem. What is wrong with yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by velopop View Post
Greetings, Tom

By any chance are you familiar with the inner workings of the Groove Tubes Glory Comp? You state you work on most other outboard gear.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi Tom,

I have a PCM90 here that most likely has a broken AD. I actually had it working again after I pulled the chip, put some deoxit gold on the pins and re-seated it, but now, after around 3 weeks it's starting to act up again. (and the same trick won't work any more)

First I had all input LEDs light up, but only noise coming out of the unit. Now only the top red one lights up, and if i feed it a pretty hot signal, the others as well. On the output there's just distorted artifacts. (with digital input everything's fine...)

To cut a long story short - do you have any of the chips left (my one says CS5389KP)?

Thanks,
Erik
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Head

Lightbulb A/d

I think you might have a different problem. How do the solder joints on the A/D socket look? I don't have extras to sell and it might not fix the problem.

If a plate-thru was marginal, a bit of deoxit might being it back for a while, then progress to a point where you can't bring it back.

Deoxit performs no magic on the chip itself.tutt

On the Lexicon front in general, I am starting to make real progress on the backlog of gear and will be spending 2-3 days a week on Lexicon gear until I am fully caught up. Thanks to all of you very patient gear owners!
Old 28th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I just found a 20 bit version of the AD chip on ebay, and will touch up the solder joints before I put it in. If that doesn't help I will get a small 2 channel AD to hook up to SPDIF (using a DAT at the moment, which is a bit of a pain)

Thanks again!
Erik
Old 28th October 2009
Gear Nut

Hi Tom,

We have a PCM91 here, that we use for no-latency phone mixes. The past few days it has been putting out random 0dBFS spikes on the outputs. (We are running analog) Have you seen this before?

Regards,
DLevy
mgr, Legacy Lab
Old 1st November 2009
Here for the gear

PCM-80 with problems

Hi Tom,

So, here's the story. I'm hoping to get a little advice on either how to fix it or if I should dump it.

Two months ago, I noticed the PCM-80 display was starting to dim randomly. Along with this was a certain noise coming from its gutz. I believe the dimmer the display the louder the high pitch whin I heard. Theory: bad power supply? The unit still worked, so I kept using it which I realize now was not good.

Two weeks ago, I turned it on and finally the display no longer worked and I got some lights on the front (error codes for the display and CPU issues I think). I tested the outputs from the power supply and found 4.85 volts going to the digital side and 30 volts going to the analog side). The service manual says it should be 5 volts and 15 volts. So,

A week ago, I replaced the power supply. The new one puts out 5.06 volts and 11.8 volts. I found some burnt lines and resistors on the back of the display circuit board. The errors when I turn on the unit remain the same. I also found that one of the IC's CS5389-KP was very very hot. The voltage regulators that are attached to the analog side of the chasis also get unusually hot.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to get fixed, if anyone has a suggestion on what could be wrong, or if I should just see if I can sell it off to someone and get a "new" one.

Thanks!
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Tom Maguire is a Thief and a Scam Artist!!!!

I sent my Lexicon 480-L to Mr. Tom Maguire of TMI Engineering for a repair. He has had it now for over 1 year. In that year I have asked repeatedly for him to forget about repairing the unit (it was partially working) and to send it back to me. He has not done that.

He is also one of the most unprofessional people that I've ever come across in my 25+ years of doing business. He almost never answer emails, he almost never answers his phone, he never returns phone calls, and when he does respond, he lies about everything.

I am currently reporting this clown to the New York Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau of New York.

Tom Maguire kept my 480-L and that makes Tom Maguire a thief and a scam artist. DO NOT TRUST THIS GUY!!!!

Don't believe me??? Search these forums and you'll find plenty of other people who have had similar problems with this guy.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmate View Post
A week ago, I replaced the power supply. The new one puts out 5.06 volts and 11.8 volts. I found some burnt lines and resistors on the back of the display circuit board. The errors when I turn on the unit remain the same. I also found that one of the IC's CS5389-KP was very very hot. The voltage regulators that are attached to the analog side of the chasis also get unusually hot.
It may be pretty wrecked but not hopeless and certainly not ready for the scrap heap. Anything can be fixed, the question is at what price? If you really had those high voltages on the analogue supply (which you probably did), then it's likely that about a dozen IC's would need to be replaced - and even if they 'work' they probably should be replaced because they've been over-stressed. U1, U2, U3, U4, U5, U6, U10, the two SSM2142's. If the voltage regs let through some high voltage, then you might need to replace U11 (the DAC), and U7 (the ADC). Given that the ADC is DC-coupled to the input buffers, it might well be toasted. Also, all tantalum decoupling capacitors on the +5VP, +5VA, -5VA, +15VA, and -15VA rails should probably be replaced. I tend to want to replace all of the parts that could have been stressed as they may 'work' now but they probably won't after about a month of operation.

The failure mode I would suggest happened most likely is something like this... The display loaded the +5V rail quite heavily because its step-up converter probably blew up. I'd almost guess that the capacitor on the end of the Vbb supply (the one used for the anodes of the display) shorted out. Most switching power supplies in this power level (under about 300 watts) use a flyback topology. They would regulate the +5V with feedback (using an optocoupler back from the low voltage side to the high voltage side), and the +/- 15V supplies are regulated by virtue of reasonable coupling in the transformer windings. When the +5V supply was overloaded, the power supply primary went full-steam on (maximum current output), and the leakage inductance in the power supply transformer causes the unregulated outputs to sort of 'uncouple' from the main output - the voltage goes way too high on the unregulated outputs.

So now, after replacing the display and power supply, the +5V system is working, but some stuff has blown up, and that's loading down the +15V and -15V analogue supplies - in fact, the same effect that probably caused it to blow up in the first place, except if the overload happens on an unregulated supply, the PSU will try to maintain the voltage on the regulated output (5V). It obviously will take some time to fix it, but IMHO it's worth it to get it fixed. A good tech should be able to fix it, especially if you already know what probably happened.

Now, keep the thing turned off until you get it fixed, so you don't blow up anything else.
Old 23rd May 2010
Here for the gear

lexicon pcm 90 chip need's CS5389-KP noise issue

Hi hope somebody can help here i have a lexicon pcm 90 that my repair guy say's needs this chip CS5389-KP D TO A the unit works but has a slight noise issue and they have narrowed it to this chip
thanks for any help i can get out there Rob
Old 26th December 2011
Gear Head

PCM 80

Hi Tom, I hope you're still around as this thread is gettin old. I have a pcm80 that keeps rebooting until I switch the power off and on. It's good for a while after that but starts a loop of rebooting again. Any help?
Thanks, Rich
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomusic View Post
Hi Tom, I hope you're still around as this thread is gettin old. I have a pcm80 that keeps rebooting until I switch the power off and on. It's good for a while after that but starts a loop of rebooting again. Any help?
Thanks, Rich
Good luck with that. Tom has had my PCM-70 for 3 years and will not return my calls, will not give out information over email, and will not return the unit. It is effectively gone forever, along with the cash I paid him to look at it. You should do a search on this topic.
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomusic View Post
Thanks, Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJanuary View Post
Good luck with that. Tom has had my PCM-70 for 3 years and will not return my calls, will not give out information over email, and will not return the unit. It is effectively gone forever, along with the cash I paid him to look at it. You should do a search on this topic.
Yea man. Tom Maguire of TMI Engineering took my money and my 480L. Haven't heard from him in over 2 years now. Total scam artist. Don't trust him.
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

I would have thought with the value of a 480L it would be worth being a bit more proactive. A short holiday where Tom is? Speak to law enforcement?

By this time its theft. Why not get together all the disgruntled parties?

And Tom, if you are reading, come clean! There is no problem so bad you can't fix it. Maybe you need help?
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
I would have thought with the value of a 480L it would be worth being a bit more proactive. A short holiday where Tom is? Speak to law enforcement?

By this time its theft. Why not get together all the disgruntled parties?

And Tom, if you are reading, come clean! There is no problem so bad you can't fix it. Maybe you need help?
I've contacted the BBB, and the NY Attorney General. Tom gives them the run around just like he does me and everyone else.

Others have had some success going to his place and demanding their gear, but I live across the country and that's a very expensive trip for unknown results, not to mention the danger involved with a a guy like this that is obviously not all there mentally (if you only knew the details of how this guy loves to play people, you'd agree).

Others have sued Tom with some degree of success. Again, expensive both in cash and time.

And even though you and I know that, because he won't return my gear, he's a thief, the reality is that legally, he hides behind laws that blur that definition. Legally, it's not that cut and dry.

Tom knows all this and he takes advantage of all of it.

Before I started posting here about my situation with Tom, and after 2 years of dealing with him keeping my gear, I told him that I would tell my story if he didn't return my unit. He didn't so I've made it my mission to at least warn other people of what he's done so that it doesn't happen to anyone else. And it's worked. Tom has all but disappeared from posting in this forum, and he hasn't ripped off anyone else here since I started posting. But I know he still visits and reads these posts....

So Tom. Once again. For the hundredth time. Send me my 480L back in the same condition that I sent it to you. That's all you have to do. That's all you've ever had to do. And do the same for TRJanuary, and everyone else that you have after you. Take one day and DO IT.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

What about contacting a repo man where Tom is? Maybe they could do the job for you. Send them a photo, tell them to pick up all the 480's they find there!

Tom, you are probably having a giggle at this but one day the karma will get you! If it hasn't already!
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Geez Guys,
This thread is really a great shame, why people do this I have no idea, I only hope some of you guys actually got your gear back, or have seen it on eBay and reported it. Sorry you've all gone through hell here. Lucky I saw this thread and the warnings. Beamish Electronics in Chicago seem to be super reputable by those whom have had Lex gear serviced their! Maybe try them next time (I personally have not used them, though know of people whom have! And with good results.)
Hope it all gets resolved.
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

I never got mine back, although I was able to get Jules to remove his old listing for tech services here on GS.

Almost 4 years since I had my unit and the money I paid him for a deposit.

Tom Maguire of TMI out of New York is a thief and scam artist.
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

I can appreciate your disappointment and anger is this Tom Maguire guy! I only hope that he didn't get away with 5 x peoples 480L's and 10 x PCM90's, and another 4 x PCM80's etc. If the sum total of his reckless behaviour has amounted to that kind of haul, I'd think to be certainly exploring other options between the relevant "Lexicon Customer Parties" whom have been wronged and Tom Maguire including his TMI business. It might be worthwhile forming some Group action! Maybe even doing a "Full listing and Search" on the guy & his business practices, as it's in the USA so a search would reveal his exact whereabouts and all status. Just a thought! Really makes you wonder why people do this crap? Seems like he can hide online and get away with it. Just so wrong!
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Geez Guys,
This thread is really a great shame, why people do this I have no idea, I only hope some of you guys actually got your gear back, or have seen it on eBay and reported it. Sorry you've all gone through hell here. Lucky I saw this thread and the warnings. Beamish Electronics in Chicago seem to be super reputable by those whom have had Lex gear serviced their! Maybe try them next time (I personally have not used them, though know of people whom have! And with good results.)
Hope it all gets resolved.
I'm glad you saw all this here. Glad you didn't get scammed by Tom Maguire, too.

And for everyone that comes across this and other threads here, Tom never returned my 480-L.
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Sanchez View Post
I'm glad you saw all this here. Glad you didn't get scammed by Tom Maguire, too. And for everyone that comes across this and other threads here, Tom never returned my 480-L.
Anything I can do to help? Seriously a 480L plus the rest, that's quite a haul! My Ex-GF would go legally ballistic over this! and seek recompense!
Ok...
PCM-90's and
PCM 80's + a
480L
Anyone else lost out to this Scammer? If so maybe post it in this thread!
@Lawrence Sanchez - I can only imagine how angry you must be! So sorry this happened to all!
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

You've got to be joking! If Tom has not returned the goods, that is theft! Get the cops onto it!
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
You've got to be joking! If Tom has not returned the goods, that is theft! Get the cops onto it!
My Feelings Exactly, though maybe a "Group Response" would seek a more swift resolve, just a thought! All that gear at New Cost = Serious $$$$$$$!
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

The total amount in gear has to be grand theft at the least. If you can present a total (estimated) dollar amount to the police, or an attorney then that should raise an eyebrow. It's one thing to say he stole your PCM90. It's another to go to the police saying he stole $20,000 worth of gear.

You guys should really look into it.

Regards,
Frank
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

I guess it comes down to an "OLD THREAD" once again, and quite a few guys have moved on, most likely as TMI hoped, I mean this was in 2008/9/10/and then 2011. So really trying to drag up all that crap from people whom have finally let it go might never happen. On the other hand 1 guy lost a 480L so it's serious damage and he replied to the thread! If that were a bunch of PCM90 and 80/81's at the time around $2,000 each and $480L @ say $9K then maybe it's a PM to all in the thread seeing if they want to go for TMI's guts and get some sort of legal action going - not sure what else any of us outsiders can do here save know TMI is bad business!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

PCM 80 display (weak)

Reviving an old thread since it seems to be related to my search.. I have a PCM 80 with a weak display. Everything else works fine! I am trying to find a new one or is there a trick that can be done ??
Regards
jf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search