All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lexicon PCM 80 PCM 90 Repairs
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Check the power supplies.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Yeap,
buy a new PCM-80 or junked w/ display working...... or store all presets and /or favourite verb/fx settings on a PCMCIA card and step through them 1 x 1! Beamish electronics in Chicago will fix big boys Lexicons or find a local tech, PM me I can recommend a few!
TLB.
Old 11th August 2013
Here for the gear

Old 11th August 2013
Here for the gear

hey guys, I am also a victim of tom. Unfortunaly he picked up my 480 from my studio and i dont have an address. If any of u have a shipping address or any info im going to try to take some legal actions in the near future. Send a private message if u want to add anything. Tx
Old 13th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiovv View Post
Reviving an old thread since it seems to be related to my search.. I have a PCM 80 with a weak display. Everything else works fine! I am trying to find a new one or is there a trick that can be done ??
Regards
jf
On the back of your Lexicon PCM-80 will be a date code, and will be something like 4/9/94 It's not near the PSU side though more often then not near the middle on the back of the unit near the SP/DIF Connection. That can help in knowing if it's a MK 1 or 2 version unit. Best to start there.
Cheers
TLB.
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
On the back of your Lexicon PCM-80 will be a date code, and will be something like 4/9/94 It's not near the PSU side though more often then not near the middle on the back of the unit near the SP/DIF Connection. That can help in knowing if it's a MK 1 or 2 version unit. Best to start there.
Cheers
TLB.
Why the distinction? I thought all the PCM 80's used the same Futaba M202SD01H display assembly. I have 3 PCM 80's here - the one with the very weak display has the combo Neutrik jacks. The display glass was also bubbled inside like the adhesive between the 2 sections was failing. The other two units have bright clean displays - one is the older unit with 1/4" TRS only and the other is a newer combo jack version. Date code on the old one is 0595. The weak display has a regular serial number and the wording above it says made in the USA. The newest one (also good) has a serial number and a "assembled in the USA" sticker covering where it used to say "made in USA".

So, my initial guess is maybe it was a bad batch of displays or units that may have been subjected to more extreme conditions.

Large broker parts sites (like USBid) may have some displays, but we'd need a group buy of probably 30 or more to make it worthwhile. Organzing such group buys are a royal PITA, but if there's enough interest I can take it to the next step.

I have a feeling this display was used in a number of Lexicon units of that era.
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Lexicon PCM-80/90 PSU & display / Differing versions

[QUOTE=oldgearguy;9336503]
Quote:
Why the distinction?
3 versions (or 4 if you count the 1st batch.)

Quote:
I thought all the PCM 80's used the same Futaba M202SD01H display assembly. I have 3 PCM 80's here - the one with the very weak display has the combo Neutrik jacks. The display glass was also bubbled inside like the adhesive between the 2 sections was failing.
From my understanding most parts are common save a few, others can be swapped in/out as well etc. That is the reason for the date code in some circumstances. I own 3 x PCM-80's 1 x TRS early 1995 and 2 x Combi/TRS both 1996, and and 1 single PCM-81 RoHs 2001 model so I can understand your thoughts re: continuity of OEM parts, though in very early 1994 Lexicon PCM-80's production, originally the very first 1994 Generation of PCM-80's did hold many dodgy parts, thus some units (Of unreliable parts) slipped through the QC Control Net into Production before Lexicon sourced suitable replacement parts; around 3 months later & sources were secured. These early 1994 PCM-80's are easy version 1.00 software units and in my books are always suspicious when things go wrong. More so it's not always the display part that's causing the trouble.

Quote:
The other two units have bright clean displays - one is the older unit with 1/4" TRS only and the other is a newer combo jack version. Date code on the old one is 0595.
Interesting? so that would be 0/5/1995 batch number, with the PCM-80 Version 1.10 software MK2 TRS/Combi Jack Dual Output. This PCM-80 MK2 version came along tooled up with the new soon to be released PCM-90 case. Perhaps these cases were popping out early as prototypes!

Quote:
The weak display has a regular serial number and the wording above it says made in the USA. The newest one (also good) has a serial number and a "assembled in the USA" sticker covering where it used to say "made in USA". So, my initial guess is maybe it was a bad batch of displays or units that may have been subjected to more extreme conditions.
So this one has no date code? Hmmm they usually stay on save the casing has been swapped out, was it purchased new, S/H or don't know? The Made in the USA was 90% of Lexicon Products, it was only RoHs in 2000 that made Lexicon have the PCM-81/91 & MPX Series Soldered in China, the parts were already made on the Main Bread Board (PCB board), their was no loss in quality or the units made worse, in fact the later PCM-81/91's are the most robust I've inspected, the shame about the PCM-81 was it's 512K of standard Memory. Also by this time after upgrades in parts & software the daughter board was taken off and the unit basically not socketed, so no sockets for user SDRAM or ROM Upgrades etc, it can be done, though it can be a dogs breakfast in doing so.

Quote:
Large broker parts sites (like USBid) may have some displays, but we'd need a group buy of probably 30 or more to make it worthwhile. Organzing such group buys are a royal PITA, but if there's enough interest I can take it to the next step. I have a feeling this display was used in a number of Lexicon units of that era.
Well, I have the service manual if you require it? Just PM me. My advice would be to actually take the "Digital Daughter Board" of a fully working PCM-80 unit and see how that fairs in "Swapping it In/Out" with the "Faulty Display Unit" you've mentioned, (even though this does sound like a 70% display problem) it could be a digital or PSU error though as no error code has come up, and a Power Supply issue can create such scenarios (I'll upload a relevant PSU ECO for you here). Lexicon sent out hundreds upon hundreds of ECO Technical sheets for products that 99.9% of users never saw (In typical Lexicon fashion!) especially the 1.10 software update. I think they ran a few Mix Magazine and the like adverts for the PCM-80 Version 1.10 s/ware though not much else! Other then that, I'd wait for a junked PCM-80 to come up on eBay and grab a bunch of parts + display for $120.00 bucks! I've done this now for the past 3 years insuring I have working Lexicons for another 10 years plus from M95 PrimeTimes to M300/L's, however as always YMMV

Anyway, here is a PDF on the ECO 80/90 Power Supply Unit for you! This PSU Unit change over and cabling is also of your Lexicon Units time Period. If it was purchased S/H it might be a loose connection or simply "Heavy Usage" as in Touring etc.
Cheers
-TLB -
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...1&d=1376799065
Attached Files

Last edited by TheLastByte; 18th August 2013 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: Added PDF
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

3 versions (or 4 if you count the 1st batch.)

From my understanding most parts are common save a few, others can be swapped in/out as well etc. That is the reason for the date code in some circumstances. I own 3 x PCM-80's 1 x TRS early 1995 and 2 x Combi/TRS both 1996, and and 1 single PCM-81 RoHs 2001 model so I can understand your thoughts re: continuity of OEM parts, though in very early 1994 Lexicon PCM-80's production, originally the very first 1994 Generation of PCM-80's did hold many dodgy parts, thus some units (Of unreliable parts) slipped through the QC Control Net into Production before Lexicon sourced suitable replacement parts; around 3 months later & sources were secured. These early 1994 PCM-80's are easy version 1.00 software units and in my books are always suspicious when things go wrong. More so it's not always the display part that's causing the trouble.

Interesting? so that would be 0/5/1995 batch number, with the PCM-80 Version 1.10 software MK2 TRS/Combi Jack Dual Output. This PCM-80 MK2 version came along tooled up with the new soon to be released PCM-90 case. Perhaps these cases were popping out early as prototypes!
Actually the 0595 unit has TRS only. I wasn't clear enough I guess. My main point was that it doesn't seem to be directly age-related to cause the weak display. The other units w/o date codes have a 2-part serial number but it doesn't look like a date in either part.

Quote:
Well, I have the service manual if you require it? Just PM me. My advice would be to actually take the "Digital Daughter Board" of a fully working PCM-80 unit and see how that fairs in "Swapping it In/Out" with the "Faulty Display Unit" you've mentioned, (even though this does sound like a 70% display problem) it could be a digital or PSU error though as no error code has come up, and a Power Supply issue can create such scenarios (I'll upload a relevant PSU ECO for you here). Lexicon sent out hundreds upon hundreds of ECO Technical sheets for products that 99.9% of users never saw (In typical Lexicon fashion!) especially the 1.10 software update. I think they ran a few Mix Magazine and the like adverts for the PCM-80 Version 1.10 s/ware though not much else! Other then that, I'd wait for a junked PCM-80 to come up on eBay and grab a bunch of parts + display for $120.00 bucks! I've done this now for the past 3 years insuring I have working Lexicons for another 10 years plus from M95 PrimeTimes to M300/L's, however as always YMMV
Thanks for the offer on the SM. Getting the display out is a royal PITA. I can certainly swap entire front panel assemblies though.

The best price I've seen on PCM 80's these days is around $400, and so far, the only issue I've had has been the one display (knock on wood end panel of old synth...), so picking up a few spare displays seems prudent.
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Nah....Mucked up unit Eprom/Lexichip would be $180.00 most!
No problem.....SM/80 and ECO 80/90 Sent to you! Let me know how you get on!
Good luck
Cheers
-TLB-
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

With a bit of modding I am sure these would work

Lexicon PCM 80 PCM 90 RepairsCharacter LCD Module Display Screen LCM 20X2 2002 20*2 Compatible HD44780 | eBay
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2udio View Post
Unfortunately not. I've done a fair amount of LCD replacements on my other gear, mainly because the EL backlight dies and often the inverter whine is noticeable enough to be objectionable to me. Typically, older gear uses a standard 14 (or 16 pin) interface like what is sold on eBay and the controller ICs are compatible enough so that with minimal rewiring, a new LCD module with LED backlight can be dropped in. The biggest problem is usually modifying the mountings to accomodate the thicker display.

The display in the PCM 80 (and 81/90/91 I believe) do not conform to those stock modules in either dimensions or interface.
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very nice find S2udio, that company makes many, LCD displays and I think I've found one for my Eventide DSP4000.

Great Stuff!
Thank you
-TLB-
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Good seller and quick on postage....My H3000 is also grateful
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Good seller and quick on postage....My H3000 is also grateful
Can I get the exact Part Number on that for the Eventide
H3000 LCD DISPLAY
that would be gold!
Thank you
-TLB-
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

PCM 90 No analog input!

Hello! My PCM 90 finally died today. Last couple of months was sometimes making noise and the analog input lights all on. Is there any chance to repair? Thanks!
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Just a couple of notes for people repairing PCM 80/90. If your display is not working, check the fuse on the display pcb, a surface mount .5A fuse. I just bought a PCM80 off Ebay, a previous user had shorted some of the pins that go into the display and the fuse had blown. Changed the fuse and off it goes. If your display is weak, it might be the caps around the high voltage inverter, one is a 22 uF 50 volt. Also on this unit the green bezel in the front panel over the display has degraded badly which affects the visibility of the display.
These displays are hard to find although Jands in Australia list them at over $200, but there is a very similar number available on Ebay at about $60. The data sheets look very similar, but I have not tried one myself.
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
Just a couple of notes for people repairing PCM 80/90. If your display is not working, check the fuse on the display pcb, a surface mount .5A fuse. I just bought a PCM80 off Ebay, a previous user had shorted some of the pins that go into the display and the fuse had blown. Changed the fuse and off it goes. If your display is weak, it might be the caps around the high voltage inverter, one is a 22 uF 50 volt. Also on this unit the green bezel in the front panel over the display has degraded badly which affects the visibility of the display.
These displays are hard to find although Jands in Australia list them at over $200, but there is a very similar number available on Ebay at about $60. The data sheets look very similar, but I have not tried one myself.
That's interesting stuff Doug, thanks for the info, not surprised that Jands in Australia is charging over $200.00 for a Display (and I very much doubt they themselves would have any physical stock at all). Last time I spoke to Lexicon HQ in 2013 they had the complete inventory for Jands Australia at that very moment, they wanted $100.00 for a PCM80 V.1.10 Upgrade (The upgrade was for a friend whom I told could not load certain cards as he had version 1.x O.S System) - I told them (Jands) that was ridicules considering it should have come with the Dual FX Card that He (Original owner) had a receipt for and had bought 9 years ago! Though they would not take the receipt as proof, even though (His and my) Original retailer (Music Shop) had a copy as well.

The reason why? Jands cited they were not the original Dealers and since they took on the Lexicon account only Jands sales are relevant! The reason is: Syntec used to Distribute Lexicon & Eventide, (The Sloss Brothers) though Robert Sloss' brother passed away (Main Mr. Lexicon in Australia) and Jands got the Lexicon dealership. To them, (Jands) Lexicon are nothing more then a Retail outlet selling MX200, 300, 400 type reverbs and it would be a cold day in hell you would pay the Jands price for a PCM92 or 96.....running into $5000 Bucks!

In the end, I pulled out the Chip and sent it to a Friend with a Prommer burner, 10 days later (2 weeks total via Air to the USA and back) for $15 bucks I had a 2 copies. (Lexicon clearly state no PCM-80 Support). This seems to be what most people do now as Lexicon have no Upgrade O.S for 1.10 PCM-80 stock whatsoever. Worse it's actually the Pitch FX Card that needs 1.10 OS as well.

I have no doubt that after the PCM-81 was being made in China (Yes that's right, Lexicon supplied the parts and to conform to RHOS in 2002 sent the main boards and cases to China for assembly). The chances that the same PCM80/81 display is on the market by someone somewhere is very, very high (Displays from EMU to Lexicon to Akai are available). There is actually a website (I'll throw it up when I trawl through my bookmarks and find it) that lists all the VFD displays that are for various models of Audio gear from the early 90's to late 2000's and Eventide actually keep a serial number for the 4000 series displays so they do exist from China.

Why Lexicon continue to torture and rort their previous customers baffles me? Never will I buy a New piece from Lexicon in my life - that company is now gone 100%. Pretty sad considering they were once giants.

Regards
TheLastByte
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Lexicon are now owned by Harman, so kiss that company goodbye!
Though to be fair, at least they put the schematics for the legacy stuff up on the web.
The days of groundbreaking audio companies like Lexicon are long gone, and the pioneers like David Greisinger have moved on.
Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lexicon are now owned by Harman, so kiss that company goodbye! Though to be fair, at least they put the schematics for the legacy stuff up on the web.The days of groundbreaking audio companies like Lexicon are long gone, and the pioneers like David Greisinger have moved on.
David Greisinger really only cares about Lexicon as "LARES" Acoustics these days, apart from that as we all know under the Harman banner it's all about the Stock Exchange! I for one would feel seriously ripped off had I of Bought a Full Boat AES/Analog 960L in 2007/8 only get a smack in the head when Lexicon brought out the PCM 96.

I actually won an Auction in 2012 for a Lexicon 960L with Remote and 8 AES/EBU, though I bought and owned the winning Bid for £79.00 from a Recording Studio In Greece on eBay UK.....The owner emailed me an apologised profusely, telling me it was meant to be £7,900.00 Quid! I didn't argue the point. I thought at the time it was to good to be true and I was either sending 29 Quid to Somalia or the price was wrong! Lol.......! Just goes to show Sh#t Happens!
Old 19th April 2014
Lives for gear

You've got to admit that would be a reaaaally good price for a 960!
Old 19th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You've got to admit that would be a reaaaally good price for a 960!
I will admit......The tears flowed heavily on the inside! I've heard and seen of many an astonishing deal, and when it happens to you! Boom! The Bubble Bursts!
Lol.....!
Old 19th September 2014
Gear Maniac

I just had my PCM 80 go down. No input or output. I'm assuming this is the converters. Any info here on where to get fixed?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 19th September 2014
Lives for gear

Are the menus and controls working? Have you tried using the digital input?
Why do you assume its the converters?
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

More likely PSU problems
Old 21st September 2014
Lives for gear

Spill?
Old 21st September 2014
Gear Maniac

No spill.
Haven't checked the digital input.
How would I know if it's the power supply?

Yes, the controls all seem to work, I just can't get audio into it.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 21st September 2014
Lives for gear

Do the meters work? Have you got it muted?
Old 22nd September 2014
Gear Maniac

No meters.
Old 23rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubehead View Post

How would I know if it's the power supply?

Chris
By removing the lid and testing at the appropriate points with a DMM.
Also visualy check for loose connectors.etc,etc
If you are not confident with that then take it to a tech who can.
The schematics are available from lexicons archive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search