The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gearslutz challenge: High end diy compressor kit Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 10th August 2008
Here for the gear

Gearslutz challenge: High end diy compressor kit

I have searched high and low for a high end DIY compressor KIT & I cant seem to find ANY. By high end, what im looking for is something like a 1176, LA2A, distressor, etc... Ive seen what others have built, so i know its possible!!!

Here's the challenge: Can you find?
A company that sells a COMPLETE (all parts included) rackmountable compressor KIT that is comparable in quality to ones listed above, and that can be purchased online and shipped to my door.

What I DONT WANT:
1. Just Schematics / Parts lists that i have to source myself.
2. Just PCBs from AU or DN or anywhere overseas that i have send a paypal payment to and hope arrives in the next few months.
3. Links to companies that will SOMEDAY have a product available.
3. Links to companies that DID have a product at one time.
Old 11th August 2008
Have you checked out the PICO 500 series Compressor. (not rack mountable although they do make a stereo unit that is)
Might not be what you are looking for but they are supposed to be quite nice.
Pico Compressor Audio Design Forum • View forum - The Pico Compressor Forum
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodLab View Post
... Ive seen what others have built, so i know its possible!!!
[/B]
And they won't let you in on where they found their stuff ? tutttutt

not dfegad fair .......
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

the pico stuff:
i looked at the pico stuff. but, you still have to buy the enclosure and front panel seperate, then custom fit it together. im looking for a true kit, that INCLUDES enclosure, power supply, etc.....
LIKE WHAT SCA DOES FOR MIC PRE'S!!
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

C.Lambrechts,

im amazed by how many people are closed lip about where exactly they got their kits, they say email them to find it, like its a some well guarded secret!!
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Guru

I think JLM has one on the go......
Old 11th August 2008
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

JLM has an opto compressor for $4550 AU, i dont see any compressor kit available. also, i've searched the prodigy-pro website and have seen plenty of info on building a compressor, but no info an where to buy a FULL kit.
Old 11th August 2008
member no 666

If you really want a challenge... get a manual and build the damn thing on a "bread board"... it'll be "hand wired" so it should sound better. If you really want to build it on a PCB then get a PCB "etching" kit [that's how most stuff is proto-typed].

If you just want to do the assembly work then I reckon you could find a kit... if you actually want to "DIY" it then it ain't too tough to get the materials to actually "do it yourself".
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
the pico stuff:
i looked at the pico stuff. but, you still have to buy the enclosure and front panel seperate, then custom fit it together. im looking for a true kit, that INCLUDES enclosure, power supply, etc.....
LIKE WHAT SCA DOES FOR MIC PRE'S!!
I was looking for the same...It's bs that you have to.click all over to find the parts on the same web site..why cant they just say..her is kit so an so..click here to buy the whole damn thing!!
Old 11th August 2008

They have a bill of materials for all the DIY stuff at Prodigy Pro... They even tell you where to buy the stuff.

It's called DIY which stands for DO IT YOURSELF.... If you can't order the parts on the bill of materials, then how could you possibly consider building a serious project like this? This is like step #1 out of 700 steps and it's the EASIEST of them all.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
C.Lambrechts,

im amazed by how many people are closed lip about where exactly they got their kits, they say email them to find it, like its a some well guarded secret!!
I think maybe he was being sarcastic...

I don't think there are any full DIY compressor kits available... at least not mainstream stuff like what you listed.

Why are you adverse to ordering parts from a BOM?
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies guys........
I guess the word "DIY" could be interpreted many ways. You could say that anyone who doesnt mill their own timber has never "DIY"-ed their own house. so, i guess what im trying to say is i really dont have the time to research schematics, order parts, bread board, proto-type, troubleshoot, etc..... Does this make me not a serious DIYer....maybe, but i am a tech, who also writes, performs, records, mixes, produces, etc....so i dont really have the time to build this project from the ground up. i just know if i could get my hands on a kit with maybe just a few parts i would have to pick up from digikey or the like with good assembly instructions, i could bust it out pretty quick and pocket the difference, which these days is becoming more of a priority.
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

I just saw some pics of a "DIY" Bloo LA2A which looks PERFECT, but alas cant find any info on where to get it. I have no problems ordering parts, in fact i order stuff from digi-key all the time. i just think that finding a company who can buy in bulk and sell as complete kits would be a better deal all-around.
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys........
I guess the word "DIY" could be interpreted many ways. You could say that anyone who doesnt mill their own timber has never "DIY"-ed their own house. so, i guess what im trying to say is i really dont have the time to research schematics, order parts, bread board, proto-type, troubleshoot, etc..... Does this make me not a serious DIYer....maybe, but i am a tech, who also writes, performs, records, mixes, produces, etc....so i dont really have the time to build this project from the ground up. i just know if i could get my hands on a kit with maybe just a few parts i would have to pick up from digikey or the like with good assembly instructions, i could bust it out pretty quick and pocket the difference, which these days is becoming more of a priority.
I built the Drip LA2A clone, it's pretty sweet, not rocket science. I've got about $600 in it, but that's not bad considering the alternative.

Listen it's not that hard to order parts, I agree with Tony, if you don't have the patience to do that much, you'll never make it through a build like this.

Look at this: http://www.lomayesva.com/drip_opto_manual.pdf
Greg has about the BEST instruction manual for a DIY project that I've seen. At the bottom he lists part #s for everything. He supplies the PCB and the difficult to find T4b clone.

You could also build the GSSL mix bus comp for a little less. Look for "Kev's Parts list" for that one on groupdiy.com. It's all-inclusive, but you still have to type in the part numbers to order them, I don't know if that's a deal breaker.

I've searched far and wide, and this is as close as you'll probably get, besides the pico500 that was mentioned.

Might want to build a cheap guitar pedal or something first to get your soldering chops up. General Guitar Gadgets - Home

good luck
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

soundrick,

thanks...now i think we're getting somewhere. i quick scanned the manual and looks like very do-able. do you have email him to order the pcbs and t4? is there any way to order online? thanks
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Thing is that putting a kit together is an expensive proposition. Most of us at Prodigy.com are not in it for the $$$.

But if you look around the site you can buy the cases with front panel punched out and silkscreened and the the rest of the parts form one or two sources max.

I think what you want is reasonable, not everyone wants to do pure DIY. I think what you are loking for is something like what Heathkit used to be. Kits with everything you needed to build a finished piece of gear.

Jim
Old 11th August 2008
Here for the gear

jim,

that would be ideal? like the purple audio or the bloo? where did they go? i guess im a few years too late. thanks for the reply
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
soundrick,

thanks...now i think we're getting somewhere. i quick scanned the manual and looks like very do-able. do you have email him to order the pcbs and t4? is there any way to order online? thanks
Yes, email him. I don't like to give out other's email addresses, but here is a link to the build thread that can answer just about any questions you have about this project. Prodigy Professional :: View topic - LA2A PCB ver 2.0 build thread

You can get a 3u chassis from ParMetal. The front panel is truly "DIY" unless you get one from one of the guys at groupDiy. I found them to be a little pricey.

good luck on your quest.....
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Guru

JLM does have a full kit on the go....just not on the site yet. Check in the JLM forum. Very basic but good quality it looks too (based on JLM experience, NOT hearing it). I'd have to go with Tony Belmont's thought in general though.......... If you REALLY want to build one.......
Old 11th August 2008
Lives for gear

Gyraf Audio

scroll down on the left untill you see DIY Projects.

In there you will find SSL compressor, 1176, and many more.

Old 11th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I've got a Bloo LA-2A kit, which I've been painfully-slowly building over the past year and a half...but I think Steve is no longer selling them. I might have gotten one of the last ones because right after I bought it, he moved to Texas or something and sort of dropped off the boards after that.

--> freddie
Old 22nd March 2009
Here for the gear

Kind of a bump for an interesting older thread. Any luck on finding what you were looking for MethodLab?

I'd love to find a Fairchild kit...
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Maniac

I do understand what you are saying. Ive been looking for a kit myself for years where its ALL there like the remote control cars you buy with remote and car parts.

I understand you can substitue parts for better so sourcing your own parts would be beneficial for this, but I don't want to do that and I think some people don't either and would love a full package kit.

Anyone had any luck finding such a kit?
Old 22nd March 2009
As mentioned - the JLM kits are very good - highly recommended - Joe designs really nice gear.
Fairchild kit???? - yeah right (Maybe just buy the Anamod AM660)
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

JLM Audio Shop - MAC Rack kit

check that out..i have one. Its pretty good for the price.
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocomotion View Post
I've got a Bloo LA-2A kit, which I've been painfully-slowly building over the past year and a half...but I think Steve is no longer selling them. I might have gotten one of the last ones because right after I bought it, he moved to Texas or something and sort of dropped off the boards after that.

--> freddie
I was gonna ask whatever happened to that rig. That was a really cool kit. I just didn't get turned on to it until it was too late.
Old 1st May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have searched high and low for a high end DIY compressor KIT & I cant seem to find ANY. By high end, what im looking for is something like a 1176, LA2A, distressor, etc... Ive seen what others have built, so i know its possible!!!

Here's the challenge: Can you find?
A company that sells a COMPLETE (all parts included) rackmountable compressor KIT that is comparable in quality to ones listed above, and that can be purchased online and shipped to my door.

What I DONT WANT:
1. Just Schematics / Parts lists that i have to source myself.
2. Just PCBs from AU or DN or anywhere overseas that i have send a paypal payment to and hope arrives in the next few months.
3. Links to companies that will SOMEDAY have a product available.
3. Links to companies that DID have a product at one time.

Not sure you will find what you want with your requirements, but here is my suggestion...

Deal with just getting a PCB, but get a REALLY good one. I suggest Drip Electronics. He has an LA2A board and even more impressive is the fact that he just released a 175b clone board. Look at it this way. You are about to go through the painstaking process of building a unit, what is a few more hours of sourcing parts? Plus his step by step instructions are amazing, and he suggests parts and sources for them. So it's not the usual look at a list and decipher where you should get it from game.

Not just that... But sourcing the parts yourself ensures quality control. You aren't getting parts they send you, you are getting parts you picked yourself and can make it truly as audiophile as you want.

I am about to build his Four Seven (which I believe is a Redd47 clone), and am ordering the 175b board next week.

I have heard GREAT things about his LA2A as well.

-Grant
Old 1st May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
Kind of a bump for an interesting older thread. Any luck on finding what you were looking for MethodLab?

I'd love to find a Fairchild kit...
Read my above comment... The 175b is VERY close in sound to the Fairchild 660... It's got that same warm vari-mu sound... From what I understand it is supposed to be UA trying to make something that sounded like a Fairchild. A lot of people prefer them to Fairchilds, but regardless it is up there in the food chain.

-Grant
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for Drip Electronics

I've built a couple of the Drip LA2A's. They are pretty easy to make and sound incredible. I may well have a bash at a couple of their 175b compressors one day when I'm not broke!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search