The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gearslutz challenge: High end diy compressor kit Other Modular Audio Processors
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear

Right now I don't think you will find many full kits (all parts plus case etc.). Its too much investment for us small guys).

I looked into providing a complete kit, I am finishing a 1084EQ project that I wil have for sale as well. I am making it so that it will be incredibly easy for anyone to build (OK you have to have soldering experience), step by step instructions etc. But I will only sell the PCB. Its taking me an enormous amount of time for research and testing, prototyping. I don't think I want to start stocking parts as well. I figure its the same for the others at Prodigy. We want the builders to succeed and enjoy the finished projects (I've see too many projects turn sour because builders take on too much or give up because the design had a minor problem).

By the way an LA2A is extremely easy to make (just watch out for the voltages in there). The Drip board and also Silent Art (2 LA2A in 1 pcb!) boards are excellent. I built 2 LA2A P2P but I have 2 of Silent Art's PCBs here to build another 2. Looks like an even bigger piece of cake.

The hard part is not buying parts or soldering, its getting the finished case for the project. Here's where it gets expensive if you want a "pro" look. If you don't care then plain is reasonable $$. I am working with someone else at Prodigy to make the front panels for the 1084EQ.

If you take your time, read the forum topics and ask for help you will end up with a great piece of gear.

Why not take the chance and get a small preamp kit to get the taste of things. SCA has some under $100 preamp that you could power up with some batteries and put in a small case. It will give you a sense of what its like to build a full kit and still have to mount in enclosure yourself.

You may find that you want to try some of the JLM kits (I call them semi-kits).

Jim
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
Gyraf Audio

scroll down on the left untill you see DIY Projects.

In there you will find SSL compressor, 1176, and many more.

+1 for that, I Did the ssl and the1176
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear
Do you have a link for the silent art stuff? Never heard of those before. Thanks
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

For the Silent Art boards go to Prodigy.com in the Black Market section or do a search for LA2A and it should come up.

Jim
Old 12th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzzi View Post
Right now I don't think you will find many full kits (all parts plus case etc.). Its too much investment for us small guys).

I looked into providing a complete kit, I am finishing a 1084EQ project that I wil have for sale as well. I am making it so that it will be incredibly easy for anyone to build (OK you have to have soldering experience), step by step instructions etc. But I will only sell the PCB. Its taking me an enormous amount of time for research and testing, prototyping. I don't think I want to start stocking parts as well. I figure its the same for the others at Prodigy. We want the builders to succeed and enjoy the finished projects (I've see too many projects turn sour because builders take on too much or give up because the design had a minor problem).

By the way an LA2A is extremely easy to make (just watch out for the voltages in there). The Drip board and also Silent Art (2 LA2A in 1 pcb!) boards are excellent. I built 2 LA2A P2P but I have 2 of Silent Art's PCBs here to build another 2. Looks like an even bigger piece of cake.

The hard part is not buying parts or soldering, its getting the finished case for the project. Here's where it gets expensive if you want a "pro" look. If you don't care then plain is reasonable $$. I am working with someone else at Prodigy to make the front panels for the 1084EQ.

If you take your time, read the forum topics and ask for help you will end up with a great piece of gear.

Why not take the chance and get a small preamp kit to get the taste of things. SCA has some under $100 preamp that you could power up with some batteries and put in a small case. It will give you a sense of what its like to build a full kit and still have to mount in enclosure yourself.

You may find that you want to try some of the JLM kits (I call them semi-kits).

Jim
How does it sound compared to the commercial products Urei, UA and re-issues and other clones like Skribble, ADL1000, etc.
Old 11th August 2011
Here for the gear

High pride compressor kit

JLM kits are the (or at least one) way to go. I haven't built a Mac Rack yet but it's my next purchase. I just finished a BA4 (4 mic preamps in a one space rack) and this gear rocks ! Especially for the price (900€ shipped and all), it proudly compairs with a Manley or a Amek DMCL. Interesting enough in this world, when I asked Joe Malone about messing with pot size and lay-out to cram 4 comps in the same chassis, he replied "I am sure this could be done and we may even look at designing a front panel and case layout and adding it as a product for it if you go ahead with this." Isn't that nice ?

I also found out about also this French company but haven't tried their products: http://www.soundskulptor.com/

http://www.mupson.com

Last edited by mups; 11th August 2011 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: link updated
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodLab View Post

What I DONT WANT:
1. Just Schematics / Parts lists that i have to source myself.
2. Just PCBs from AU or DN or anywhere overseas that i have send a paypal payment to and hope arrives in the next few months.
3. Links to companies that will SOMEDAY have a product available.
3. Links to companies that DID have a product at one time.
These things are the spirit of DIY!! Git involved!
Old 13th August 2011
If you look inside some of your fav high enders, you will see trimpots. Unless you have the test gear and knowledge to use it, you will have problems aligning these advanced designs.

That may be why most DYI kits are simple designs to ensure building success.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=mups;6928546]I also found out about also this French company but haven't tried their products: http://www.soundskulptor.com/

They're very good. JP knows what he's doing! I've only used their ready-made
products, but the kits are identical components. There's no compressor, though I did like the STS tape sim. The Neve 1073 500-series pre looks like a decent first DIY job... if you have a Lunchbox rack, that is...
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Complete kits:

JLM Audio Shop

One in a 19" box, the other for the lunchbox.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Here is a good resource for DIY, though I'm not sure who offers a complete kit off hand. Often times the kits will just be pcbs, switches, meters, metalwork, etc. It is assumed that you can find resistors and caps and the more common items yourself.

D.I.Y. Recording Equipment -
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Addict

I'll chuck in another vote for Joe @ JLM.. Brilliant guy, patient and helpful if you get stuck.. PREMIUM gear.

I've converted one Dual 99v rack kit and built another.. I'll do more of these then start on his Comps.. They're good. Very good.
Old 30th October 2011
Here for the gear

How bout the new SCA B16 compressor ?

Trench Recordings | Toronto Recording Studios
http://www.trenchrecordings.com
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

A full kit isn't going to save anybody a huge amount of money.
The DIY guys do what they do best, some make boards, others cases. The fact is Digikey and Mouser deal in such volume you can't beat the component prices, and bundeling means holding inventory which ties up $$$.
That said there are a fair amount of kits out there ( lots of pres) get your feet wet then, move on to the real total DIY experiance, not only do you learn how to build but you get to learn about sourceing parts and what it's like to keep all theparts instock!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search