The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
P&G vs ALPS Fader
Old 7th August 2008
P&G vs ALPS Fader

Wondering if anybody has done a test and can give the results in a comparison of P&G vs ALPS faders. I am modifying the master section of my D&R Orion desk and want to replace the 2 stock mono master faders for 1 stereo master. I am looking to use either and ALPS or P&G or other high quality fader. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

hi
The question should be P+G against WHICH ALPS faders.
P+G are all conductive plastic and pretty reliable (and repairable).
ALPS make several varieties including 'carbon' and 'conductive plastic' versions. There was also a 'superglaze' but I think that was not much of a 'hit' and was discontinued.
Unless you plan on really hammering them the conductive plastic ALPS are possibly best on cost terms as they should fit the D+R modules more readily than a P+G 'conversion'.
There is some American stuff out there on which I can't comment.
Matt S
Old 7th August 2008
I am trying to compare P&G PGF8000 Conductive plastic fader, vs ALPS RSA0K12A9001 K series conductive plastic. Both should fit the D&R but the P&G cost twice as much. I don't abuse my faders very much so I am not to worried about durability issues, I am trying to get the best sound out of the master section first and foremost.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Hi
I am assuming that the originals are ALPS si I would go with the conductive plastic version as the scale markings are more likely to be accurate. If this does not bother you then I would still go ALPS on price. Audio quality will be almost identical since there are other liiting factors in the desk, not particularly the faders.
Matt S
Old 8th August 2008
Also consider TKD, or Tokyo Koon Do. Those were used in early Uptown moving fader systems and I have many loaded in my console. I find them to be smoother than P+G plus they have solder lugs so you're not stuck using that thin wire from P+G. They run about 1/2 the price.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Faders

I just ordered some P&G 3220's from Colin at Audio Maintenance Limited. Here is a bit of correspondance from one of our emails. I'm sure he won't mind.

I asked his opinion on the P&G vs Alps thing.

He responded "P&G are quieter than Alps, cutoff properly at the –infinity, and have a real Logarithmic law.... (Alps is a “Audio Taper”)..... plus they are repairable/refurbishable and feel a lot better..... but that is why an Alps costs GBP 5.10 each in bulk.... (however a 60mm Alps is twice the price of the standard 100mm Alps!!)". I also understand that P&G is more/most accurate at the 10's. (-10, -20, -30, etc.)

I never entertained using Alps. I was just currious because that's what API is using in the new 1608 (I think).

Colin is a great guy and will help if you shoot him an email or a call.

Audio Maintenance Limited

I know the 8000 series is less expensive than the 3000 series. Keep in mind, currently the exchange rate for the US dollar is a fricking joke. When looking at his site, you can pretty much double the GBP to calculate cost in US dollars.

Cheers, Jeff
Old 13th August 2008
Thank you all for your advice. Very helpful. I'll let you know how it goes.

Im interested in the TKD fader never knew about them.

Also there is a P&G rep Dale Manquen at MANCO in the US. M A N Q U E N . N E T FYI.
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Dale's a great guy and been really helpful with info regarding faders.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

P&G versus ALPS fader

Does anyone here know what the wiring pinout is on an Alps 10K 100mm stereo fader? I will be replacing it with a TKD but want to make certain I connect the new fader correctly.
I tried finding a diagram of the alps connections on the ney but couldn't find a thing. It's for the master fader on a Trident 65
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
It is easiest to work it out using a multimeter, there are only a few permutations.
Matt S
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Addict

Question P&G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post
I just ordered some P&G 3220's from Colin at Audio Maintenance Limited. Here is a bit of correspondance from one of our emails. I'm sure he won't mind.

I asked his opinion on the P&G vs Alps thing.

He responded "P&G are quieter than Alps, cutoff properly at the –infinity, and have a real Logarithmic law.... (Alps is a “Audio Taper”)..... plus they are repairable/refurbishable and feel a lot better..... but that is why an Alps costs GBP 5.10 each in bulk.... (however a 60mm Alps is twice the price of the standard 100mm Alps!!)". I also understand that P&G is more/most accurate at the 10's. (-10, -20, -30, etc.)

I never entertained using Alps. I was just currious because that's what API is using in the new 1608 (I think).

Colin is a great guy and will help if you shoot him an email or a call.

Audio Maintenance Limited

I know the 8000 series is less expensive than the 3000 series. Keep in mind, currently the exchange rate for the US dollar is a fricking joke. When looking at his site, you can pretty much double the GBP to calculate cost in US dollars.

Cheers, Jeff
I installed P&G 3000 motorized faders with my Uptown!

I totaly agree with this! I noticed the feel and audio "Logarithmic law" right away after installing these!
And the fader taper when bring up and down really makes mixing nice. I swear my console also sounded cleaner? The extra cut off wire makes a HUGE differnce when cutting the volume on the fader. Not the typical..I can hear something in the distance.....
As far as the American dollar......Does anybody care that these CEO and banks and gambling....Whoops I mean stock markets (Jokes) are running this country in to the ground?
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslstrat View Post
As far as the American dollar......Does anybody care that these CEO and banks and gambling....Whoops I mean stock markets (Jokes) are running this country in to the ground?
I certainly do, let's not forget the politicians and federal reserve policies that recklessly print dollars causing devaluation and inflation. Ok, way off topic I know but it's a serious problem that greatly impacts international trade which in the end affects us trying to buy gear heh No mainstream politicians will address this, write to them and complain!!!
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

P&G versus ALPS fader

Does anyone here know if the master fader in a Trident series 65, which by the way is an Alps stereo fader, is logarithmic or audio/linear taper? I am ordering a replacement master stereo fader and want to make sure I order the right one. Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search