The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boutique under the hood??
Old 16th December 2004
JTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
The word "process" used wrongly there in Fletcher's post. We do not use a variable mu vacuum tube in our unit anymore since the first few hundred units we built when we had a bunch of 6386's way back when. We changed to the 5670 years ago which is not classified as a "variable mu vacuum tube". We changed to that tube only because we ran out of 6386's.

You can call the "process" anything you want... a 6386 is called a "variable mu vacuum tube" in all the old tube manuals I have while some other similar tubes are called "remote CUToff vacuum tubes" in some manuals and "variable mu vacuum tubes" in other manuals. The completed limiter/compressors themselves in the old days seemed to be called a "Tube Limiter" or Limiting Amplifier" or some such. Look on the old schematics. You won't find the words "Variable Mu" on old Fairchildren, Gates, et al, docs...

As far as the trademark thing, which came later, since trademarks cannot be of descriptive nature referring to an element used inside the unit, that was the last hurdle we had to get over in making our trademark case and the existing use of the 5670 supported our case. Besides the fact that we seemed to be first folks to call a limiter/compressor product "Variable Mu". That's the name of our unit. Now with the circle R.

Here's a picture of a real oldie Manley Variable Mu® Limiter/Compressor probably from 1994. It's a bit tidier these days, but anyway, this thread is about GearGutz, so might as well drop our drawers for ya too... :>)

I'm likin' them drawers, EveAnna -

How 'bout nice big framed photos of that for the studio wall?
Given your photography bent, that shouldn't be too hard to add to your to-do list?

So what you're saying is a rose by any other name will smell as sweet?
The tech details of each tube and how it's implemented in the cct design differs, but the essential result is the same?

my VariMu has 6386 bottles and sounds juuuust fine.
Old 16th December 2004
Lives for gear

Hey Eveanna !

Do you know what the serial numbers go up to for the 6386 versions ???

I think I`ve got one of those ones. I emailed somebody over at your place a while ago asking about the T-bar mod and he said it was unnescessary because I had an older one.

Now what I`m really wondering here is should I try to find some 6386`s somewhere just in case the tubes start to lose it ? How long do I got ???

Old 16th December 2004

Hi Kevin,

All the answers you seek are here on this page.

For you foto fans, there is also a giant GearGutz shot of the shot below (current production) if you wanna play with it available from the link above. Sorry for the glare... too much to do right now! Over 150 people are gonna be at my house Friday nite for our BIG ANNUAL XMAS FACTORY PARTY. Thank goodness I have good helper elves. The tree is up, (it is HUGE! 18 feet tall set up in the backyard!!!) the lights are all up everywhere, and we have already wrapped all the factory children's presents! (Damn 50 employees need to stop breeding!)
Attached Thumbnails
Boutique under the hood??-mslc81700gutz.jpg  
Old 16th December 2004

GearGutz huh - here's the inside of our ARC unit...
Attached Thumbnails
Boutique under the hood??-kif_0190.jpg  
Old 16th December 2004

and from the rear...
Attached Thumbnails
Boutique under the hood??-kif_0191.jpg  
Old 16th December 2004

Hey BUZZ, Nice looking piece! It is PACKED! Looks beautiful....

Here's our most packed piece:
(Big version of that picture available from our Mixer page).

Go Chivas!
Attached Thumbnails
Boutique under the hood??-16x2gutz.jpg  
Old 16th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
Hi Kevin,

All the answers you seek are here on this page.

Thanks a lot EveAnna ! thumbsup thumbsup
Old 16th December 2004

Thanks EveAnna, mixer looks nice too! While we are GearGutz-ing, here's the guts of our MA2.2 preamp... (This one still awaiting the output transformers to be fitted, hence no output connector wiring).

Tim.
Attached Thumbnails
Boutique under the hood??-kif_0195.jpg  
Old 18th December 2004

It would be good to see other Gutz from gear manufacturers, how about it people?

Tim.
Old 18th December 2004
Lives for gear

man, look at all that wasted space. you virtually rent that out as a studio apartment here in san francisco, nyc or london.
Old 24th December 2004
Lives for gear
All this gear looks sexy on the inside!
Old 24th December 2004
Lives for gear

I sometimes gaze wistfully at the LA-2A's guts...

Somehow it wasn't what I expected, but she shore sounds purty.
Attached Thumbnails
Boutique under the hood??-la-2a-inside-medium.jpg  
Old 25th December 2004
JTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by max cooper
I sometimes gaze wistfully at the LA-2A's guts...

Somehow it wasn't what I expected, but she shore sounds purty.
To quote Austin Powers...

"Less Is More Baby!!!"

Happy Christmas to you AND your LA2, dude!
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Addict

Hi ! thanks for the very nice pics. I have not seen the word "measurements" mentioned ... only sound.
Is there anyone who relies also on some measurements for preamps selection ? just asking because i swear i am only here to learn.
Kind regards, gino
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

..this is a 16 years old thread..
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
..this is a 16 years old thread..
Hi ! you are very right
but i found it only now ... i just found strange that no one mentioned any kind of measurements to select his/her own equipment ... just that. I wonder if also the design is done by ear ...
However i understand that is not easy to measure beauty in a sound
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

The short answer is that it's still not possible to quantify the "sound/color/personality" part of the outboard equation. The parameters that are quantifiable has very little correlation with the subjective listening impression it tries to describe.

Yes, I know it's different in the hifi world

/Jakob E.
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
The short answer is that it's still not possible to quantify the "sound/color/personality" part of the outboard equation. The parameters that are quantifiable has very little correlation with the subjective listening impression it tries to describe.
Yes, I know it's different in the hifi world
/Jakob E.
I see ... a fascinating mix of science and art
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Perhaps not so much art, more like persistent pursuit of methods enabling us to change subjective impression in predictable ways. We find a consistency in preferences across large populations that points towards something more than just (culturally transfered) aesthetics going on here.

/Jakob E.
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Perhaps not so much art, more like persistent pursuit of methods enabling us to change subjective impression in predictable ways. We find a consistency in preferences across large populations that points towards something more than just (culturally transfered) aesthetics going on here.
/Jakob E.
Hi ! i see. Nevertheless ... when I see photos of the labs where prototypes of audio devices are tested I see a lot of instruments.
So I think that measures have a value if not the measuring instruments wouldn't be of any use right?
Maybe the secret lies in what those instruments measure in the end. But what really puzzles me is when i hear about final changes to the circuits (like a fine tuning) made by ear ... then I throw in the towel.
I would be very interested to know which parameters the audio designers measure.
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Aah, but we use analytic instruments all the way - I wouldn't want to be without precision measurement devices while doing this.

It's just that the parameters that we quantify, although being utmost important for correct circuit function, does nothing to describe that "something" that is added and that we subjectively may like. In short, it will tell us when we are wrong - not when we are right :-)

Still, important specs of all sorts are usually available on request (stuff like interfacing impedances, levels, voltages and current consumption are e.g. all in our user manuals) - it's just not anything you'd want to use as persuasive argument or in marketing - unless you're aiming for the hifi market.

/Jakob E.

Last edited by gyraf; 30th July 2020 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Aah, but we use analytic instruments all the way - I wouldn't want to be without precision measurement devices while doing this.
It's just that the parameters that we quantify, although being utmost important for correct circuit function, does nothing to describe that "something" that is added and that we subjectively may like. In short, it will tell us when we are wrong - not when we are right :-)
Still, important specs of all sorts are usually available on request (stuff like interfacing impedances, levels, voltages and current consumption are e.g. all in our user manuals) - it's just not anything you'd want to use as persuasive argument or in marketing - unless you're aiming for the hifi market.
/Jakob E.
Thanks a lot again and very very fascinating
When i will be free from this boring job i will dedicate myself more at this
In particular i like extreme transparency in general
So i think i will stick to solid state units ... low noise and distortion.
I am not demonizing distortion at all that has a very fundamental value in music as in guitar effects for instance.
Noise i do not like it.
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Aah, I see - but for extreme transparency you won't want solid state either - modern digital processing is far superior when it comes to "adding nothing". Recording medium being in-the-box anyway, there's no reason to go outside at all.

/Jakob E.
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Aah, I see - but for extreme transparency you won't want solid state either - modern digital processing is far superior when it comes to "adding nothing".
Recording medium being in-the-box anyway, there's no reason to go outside at all.
/Jakob E.
Hi ! thanks for the very kind and valuable advice but just to be sure to understand. If i start with a mic i have to amplify it ... do you mean that the analog signal from a mic can be digitalized as it is (i.e. without analog amplification) ?
the thread is about analogue mic preamps
Do digital mic preamps exist ? i am confused
After the mic preamp of course there will be a ADC and then a processing of the digital signal ... that is clear
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Yes, the mic preamp will off course need to be analogue for the time being (unless you chose to use Neumann's digital mics).

The technology of transparent, clean, solid-state microphone preamplifiers is a mature science by now - the dedicated chips from e.g. Analog Devices and THAT are now very (VERY) close to the theoretical optimum.

/Jakob E.
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, the mic preamp will off course need to be analogue for the time being (unless you chose to use Neumann's digital mics).
The technology of transparent, clean, solid-state microphone preamplifiers is a mature science by now - the dedicated chips from e.g. Analog Devices and THAT are now very (VERY) close to the theoretical optimum.
/Jakob E.
Hi ! thank you very much again. I understand better the all issue now. I have another question but it is like asking about aliens ... i have to find a section everything else or similar. I do not want to provoke a global war ...
Thanks a lot again for the very valuable advice. I am learning a lot from you.
Kindest regards, gino
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear