The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question About Langevin Preamps
Old 24th May 2008
Lives for gear

Question About Langevin Preamps

I'd like to get eight of the AM-10's and convert them into a rack unit that can operate as 8 mic preamps and 8 line amps based on inputs.

Having something like that in the next year could become useful for me. I was curious how difficult wiring up something like that would be in a rack.

Anybody know?
Old 24th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
I'd like to get eight of the AM-10's and convert them into a rack unit that can operate as 8 mic preamps and 8 line amps based on inputs.

Having something like that in the next year could become useful for me. I was curious how difficult wiring up something like that would be in a rack.

Anybody know?
AM-10's? Not hip to those. Any pictures?

Michael Greene
Old 24th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
AM-10's? Not hip to those. Any pictures?

Michael Greene
Shoot, I could be wrong, is it 16's? I'm sorry, I've been out of the loop. Sorry to confuse things.

I brought up Langevin models because of their narrow build for racking.
Old 24th May 2008
Lives for gear

Well AM-16's would fit your description.

Langevin AM-16

Is this what your talking about?

The deal is that they are an amplifier. Depending on the pad network that you install on the front end, they are either set up for Mic Preamp use or Line. They are 45 DB of gain at all times regardless of what you slap into them. The pad network only brings down the incoming level so that the unit can handle it. In the case of inserting them after a passive EQ with insertion loss then it would make up the gain. Again the amount depends on what value pad is in the front end of them.

Since its early and I have only had 4 hours sleep I will try and explain further. 3 situations I can think of:

AM-16 Mic Pre amp with 45 DB of gain. Output of that patched into a passive eq with a 17 DB insertion loss. (Langevin passive eq or something like that) Then patch the output of that eq into another Langevin AM-16 for the make up gain. Probably with the input padded down to handle the level. Part of the sound is the fact that your always running this set up pretty close to max level. I have done this with mine and its a pretty exciting sound.

Situation 2: Ouput of tape machine into passive eq with the 17 db insertion loss and a AM-16 again for the make up gain.

Situation 3: A rack of AM-16's set up with pads to handle line level and the outputs combined to a summing buss of some kind. In the systems I have seen it would have been Ouput of module to a series of switches (buss switches) then the output of those switches to a passive wire buss to a combining module.

Since the AM-16s were utility modules you could mix and match and set them up however you needed to. In the later AM-4 console all these features including eq and a 0, 20, 40, 60 db pad network were set up on the module which plugged into a frame with a passive wire buss (4 buss's possible plus 2 echo sends) which went to a series of routing and combining modules. Then do either 2-4 output modules. All that in a 150-200 pound frame with a lot of transformers.

So if you wanted to do that with the AM-16's you could do it easily. Use high quality resistors for the pads and figure out some kind of summing thing if you wanted to sum all the inputs to a stereo output. Or if you just wanted the tone of the modules then I guess direct outs.

Am I making any sense and am I understanding what you want to do correctly?

Michael Greene
Old 25th May 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, thanks MJ. That helps alleviate a good deal of mystery in terms of what's possible. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
Well AM-16's would fit your description.

Langevin AM-16

Is this what your talking about?

The deal is that they are an amplifier. Depending on the pad network that you install on the front end, they are either set up for Mic Preamp use or Line. They are 45 DB of gain at all times regardless of what you slap into them. The pad network only brings down the incoming level so that the unit can handle it. In the case of inserting them after a passive EQ with insertion loss then it would make up the gain. Again the amount depends on what value pad is in the front end of them.

Since its early and I have only had 4 hours sleep I will try and explain further. 3 situations I can think of:

AM-16 Mic Pre amp with 45 DB of gain. Output of that patched into a passive eq with a 17 DB insertion loss. (Langevin passive eq or something like that) Then patch the output of that eq into another Langevin AM-16 for the make up gain. Probably with the input padded down to handle the level. Part of the sound is the fact that your always running this set up pretty close to max level. I have done this with mine and its a pretty exciting sound.

Situation 2: Ouput of tape machine into passive eq with the 17 db insertion loss and a AM-16 again for the make up gain.

Situation 3: A rack of AM-16's set up with pads to handle line level and the outputs combined to a summing buss of some kind. In the systems I have seen it would have been Ouput of module to a series of switches (buss switches) then the output of those switches to a passive wire buss to a combining module.

Since the AM-16s were utility modules you could mix and match and set them up however you needed to. In the later AM-4 console all these features including eq and a 0, 20, 40, 60 db pad network were set up on the module which plugged into a frame with a passive wire buss (4 buss's possible plus 2 echo sends) which went to a series of routing and combining modules. Then do either 2-4 output modules. All that in a 150-200 pound frame with a lot of transformers.

So if you wanted to do that with the AM-16's you could do it easily. Use high quality resistors for the pads and figure out some kind of summing thing if you wanted to sum all the inputs to a stereo output. Or if you just wanted the tone of the modules then I guess direct outs.

Am I making any sense and am I understanding what you want to do correctly?

Michael Greene
Old 3rd June 2008
Gear Nut

I've got 12 racked Langevin AM-16s.

They were taken from Baby Monster Studios in NY.
Two Ramones albums were recorded on these babies.

I have the Shadow Hills GAMA 8 mic pre's and have been getting into using those more in my sessions.

I don't have the need for 12 AM-16s anymore.

I'd love to keep 4 of these somehow.

Maybe we could figure something out. msg me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search