The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seeking tech for Ampex MX-10 repair
Old 23rd May 2008
Gear Nut

Seeking tech for Ampex MX-10 repair

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm putting this out there. I'm in NYC and have an Ampex MX-10 mixer, that is almost my favorite mic pre in my studio. Just yesterday the channel B / right channel stopped working. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for maybe how I could troubleshoot it myself, or if that doesn't work, any leads on a good, reliable tech. In the NY area would be ideal, but I'd ship it off if need be.
Thanks for any leads / advice! - Steve
Old 24th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Hi,
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm putting this out there. I'm in NYC and have an Ampex MX-10 mixer, that is almost my favorite mic pre in my studio. Just yesterday the channel B / right channel stopped working. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for maybe how I could troubleshoot it myself, or if that doesn't work, any leads on a good, reliable tech. In the NY area would be ideal, but I'd ship it off if need be.
Thanks for any leads / advice! - Steve
My friend Chaz used to work at Electric Lady and Orange Sound in NY.

He lives here in LA now. I feel shipping it would be kind of a burden for both parties, and would probably take longer than wanted for something that could be a simple problem. He helped me with mine though and he's good at repairing anything.

If you can't find somebody to help you locally, you might PM me, maybe we could figure something out, but I can't guarantee it. He just got a new job as a tech for a famous composer so he might get kind of busy as of late.

Feel free to ask questions though.

Peace,
-soupking
Old 24th May 2008
Gear nut

Steve...

There's nothing fancy or difficult in an old Ampex MX-10 and though you should NOT try and fix it yourself - unless you know electronics, any tech can fix it for you easily and inexpensively. Of course you should swap tubes yourself!

Call a top studio in your area and ask who does their tech work, then contact that person.

regards,

Goreski
Old 29th June 2013
Gear interested

re:mx-10

I have an mx 10 ingood working condition. im not using it anymore so if anyone is interested make an offer. you pay shipping. I'm hoping toget about 300.00 to purchase more equipment. frankwickberg@gmail.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search