The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DBX 386 mic pre mods
Old 6th November 2007
Lives for gear

DBX 386 mic pre mods

Hello,

What could I do to my DBX 386 to make it sound less "consumer"? I figure I can change the 12AU7 tubes to something better. What about opamps? Has anyone ever modded one of these and gotten good results?

Thanks,

-Chris Parsons
Old 6th November 2007
Gear nut

I've got one in my portable rack. Let me know the results if you decide to experiment with it.
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

So should I mod the DBX or sell it off?
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Addict

i have one. It stopped working after about a year and a half. I just have it sitting in the rack as a spacer. JUNK
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

i've got one here and love it... i've never really considered modding it... anybody got a schemo for this puppy????
Old 6th June 2009
Gear interested

update?

Has anyone found any info on modding the 386 or done any experimenting? I've been searching all day for info with no luck. It seem strange that there is no info on a mod for this piece. Has anybody gotten their hands on a schematic?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear

The starting points I'd use would be:
-tube upgrade
-IC upgrade
-audio path component upgrade
-transformer balance output

Some of this can be done without schematics, some only with.
Tho I can pretty much smell the "tube"esque starved plate design with haze and mud everywhere to begin with...

Sell that box and build a couple of Hamptone pre's
Old 7th June 2009
Gear maniac

dbx 386 is nice pre for the price....i considering to change tubes.....a friend of mine changed the chinese tubes inside with the mesaboogie 12ax7 and the result is best agressive sound
Old 8th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Tho I can pretty much smell the "tube"esque starved plate design with haze and mud everywhere to begin with...

what this really smells like is the common misconception often associated with dbx by the ill informed....

there's 200V on that tube.... dont want to beliene it??? grab it once....tutt
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Head

Tried and sold the DBX386...great for AD conversion. The tube gain was not to my taste. It sounded to me like I was listening through a wool sweater.
Old 9th June 2009
Gear Head

I had one once and the only mod I got around to was a tube swap. I can't remember what I used, but it made a big difference over stock. It's a good place to start.

BTW, I could have sworn there was a schematic in the manual
Old 9th June 2009
One of these had the HV taps on the power transformer go out. No replacements available. I bypassed the tube sections and it sounded pretty good.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 26th February 2016
surely someone out there has modded one of these? I hit up Black lion Audio to have a crack, money no option, and they said they are currently a bit busy. I think with the current 2nd hand price point of these units (and i personally love the sound, had neve,ua,aphex,meek,warm,lindell,gap, and i like this pre the best for mojo. The 386 sounds alot more open to me than the 376. I personally don't believe transformer balanced out would suit this pre as it is already like a tone from the tube section and seems already warm. I reckon transformer input would be awesome though. I reckon their could be heaps gained from op amp change, converter decoupling etc. I too can't find any info what so ever on toying with this great device. Help needed
Old 9th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parsons View Post
Hello,

What could I do to my DBX 386 to make it sound less "consumer"? I figure I can change the 12AU7 tubes to something better. What about opamps? Has anyone ever modded one of these and gotten good results?

Thanks,

-Chris Parsons
Did you have a go at mod? Wanting some info on these also. Great unit if you ask me. I have seen pics of transformer in/out when searching google, and heard of Burr Brown mods. But can't seem to find any info what so ever
Old 13th February 2017
I have requested schematic from Harman. Think burr brown, and output transformer mod on the horizon will post results hopefully in next month or two. I really believe these units getting bad wrap is purely people liking the sound of there own voices sometimes. Got amazing reviews worldwide. I dig the mojo of these units big time
Old 14th February 2017
Finally here you go
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 386 digital schematic.pdf (406.1 KB, 40 views) File Type: pdf 386 analog schematic.pdf (984.9 KB, 53 views) File Type: pdf 376 schematic digital.pdf (406.1 KB, 29 views) File Type: pdf 376 schematic analog.pdf (941.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Did you ever get around to modding your 386? Or did anyone else and have any tips?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I mod the analogue section for $225 for the 386, $165 for the 376. I require a 50% down payment, after your mod is done, I will contact you to collect the remainder 50% plus return shipping. My estimated turn around time about 12 days from when you ship it to me. I guarantee my work and extend warranty of the analogue section to five years.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for the offer, but being based in Europe, shipping and customs would be way to expensive.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search